Number theory proof trouble: pesty ellipsis

In summary, the conversation discusses problem 3 of section 1-1 from Andrew's "Number Theory" which involves proving the formula x^n - y^n = (x - y) (x^(n - 1) + (x^(n - 2)y + . . . + xy^(n - 2) + y^(n - 1) using the Principle of Mathematical Induction. The conversation also addresses the question of what the ellipsis in the formula represents and clarifies that it represents a sequence of terms.
aohawthorn

Homework Statement

Prove that

x^n - y^n = (x - y) (x^(n - 1) + (x^(n - 2)y + . . . + xy^(n - 2) + y^(n - 1)

Homework Equations

This is problem 3, section 1-1 from Andrew's "Number Theory," which I'm using for self-study. It follows the section on the "Principle of Mathematical Induction", i.e. "A statement about integers is true for all integers greater than or equal to 1 if (1) it is true for the integer 1, and (ii) whenever it is true for all the integers 1,2, ..., k, then it is true for the integer k + 1." The first two proofs both involve plugging k into an expression, adding (k + 1), and setting the sum equal to the same expression with (k + 1) plugged into it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't need a solution - I need to understand the question! I can't figure out what the ellipsis here is representing. In other expressions in the book (e.g. 1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 + . . . + n^3) the ellipsis obviously represents a sequence of terms leading up to one greatest value n, but I just can't see what sort of "sequence" is represented in this problem! Any help would be deeply appreciated. Again - I'm not looking for the answer, just to understand the question. Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]x^n - y^n = (x - y)\left(\sum_{k=1}^n\ x^{n-k}y^{k-1}\right)[/tex]

is a version of the formula without ellipses.

Aha! Thanks so much - I see it now.

1. What is Number Theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties of numbers, especially integers. It studies patterns and relationships between numbers, and is often used to solve problems involving prime numbers, divisibility, and arithmetic operations.

2. What is a proof in Number Theory?

A proof in Number Theory is a logical argument that demonstrates the truth of a mathematical statement or theorem. It involves using established principles and rules to show that a statement is always true, without any exceptions.

3. What is an ellipsis in Number Theory?

An ellipsis in Number Theory refers to a sequence of three dots (...) that represent a missing part of a mathematical proof. It indicates that the proof has been shortened or omitted, and that additional steps or explanations may be required to fully understand the argument.

4. What makes ellipses problematic in Number Theory proofs?

Ellipses in Number Theory proofs can be problematic because they may hide important steps or assumptions, making it difficult to understand and verify the proof. They can also introduce errors or gaps in the logic, leading to an incorrect or incomplete proof.

5. How can one overcome trouble with ellipses in Number Theory proofs?

To overcome trouble with ellipses in Number Theory proofs, it is important to carefully review the proof and try to fill in the missing steps or assumptions. Consulting other sources, such as textbooks or online resources, can also provide additional insights and help clarify any confusing parts of the proof. In some cases, it may be necessary to consult with other mathematicians or experts in the field to fully understand the proof.