1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number theory proof trouble: pesty ellipsis

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that

x^n - y^n = (x - y) (x^(n - 1) + (x^(n - 2)y + . . . + xy^(n - 2) + y^(n - 1)

2. Relevant equations

This is problem 3, section 1-1 from Andrew's "Number Theory," which I'm using for self-study. It follows the section on the "Principle of Mathematical Induction", i.e. "A statement about integers is true for all integers greater than or equal to 1 if (1) it is true for the integer 1, and (ii) whenever it is true for all the integers 1,2, ..., k, then it is true for the integer k + 1." The first two proofs both involve plugging k into an expression, adding (k + 1), and setting the sum equal to the same expression with (k + 1) plugged into it.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't need a solution - I need to understand the question! I can't figure out what the ellipsis here is representing. In other expressions in the book (e.g. 1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 + . . . + n^3) the ellipsis obviously represents a sequence of terms leading up to one greatest value n, but I just can't see what sort of "sequence" is represented in this problem! Any help would be deeply appreciated. Again - I'm not looking for the answer, just to understand the question. Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2

Deveno

Science Advisor

[tex]x^n - y^n = (x - y)\left(\sum_{k=1}^n\ x^{n-k}y^{k-1}\right)[/tex]

is a version of the formula without ellipses.

4. Feb 23, 2012 #3
    Aha! Thanks so much - I see it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook