Numerical 2D Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, a Numerical 2D Harmonic Oscillator is a mathematical model that describes the motion of a particle in a two-dimensional system under the influence of a restoring force. Its key components include the mass of the particle, spring constant, and initial conditions. It differs from a simple harmonic oscillator by considering motion in two dimensions. Methods such as Euler, Runge-Kutta, and Verlet are used to solve it, and it has various real-world applications in physics and engineering.
JohnSimpson
I'm solving the 2D harmonic oscillator, numerically.

[tex]
-\frac{1}{2}\left(
u_{xx} + u_{yy}\right) + \frac{1}{2}(x^2+y^2)u = Eu
[/tex]

The solutions my solver spits out for say, the |01> state, are linear combinations of the form

[tex]
|u\rangle = \alpha_1 |01\rangle + \alpha_2 |10\rangle
[/tex]

which is obviously a perfectly fine solution which has the correct eigenvalue. But I'd like for my solver to somehow be "smart" enough to generate the typically defined pure gauss-hermite solutions, automatically. Is there any way to force this?

-js

Physics news on Phys.org
I decided just to break the degeneracy by choosing different frequencies in the different directions. Nevermind!

1. What is a Numerical 2D Harmonic Oscillator?

A Numerical 2D Harmonic Oscillator is a mathematical model that describes the motion of a particle in a two-dimensional system, under the influence of a restoring force that is proportional to its displacement from a fixed point.

2. What are the key components of a Numerical 2D Harmonic Oscillator?

The key components of a Numerical 2D Harmonic Oscillator include the mass of the particle, the spring constant of the restoring force, and the initial conditions of the system (position and velocity of the particle).

3. How is a Numerical 2D Harmonic Oscillator different from a simple harmonic oscillator?

A Numerical 2D Harmonic Oscillator differs from a simple harmonic oscillator in that it takes into account the motion of a particle in two dimensions, rather than just one. This means that the displacement of the particle in each direction must be considered separately.

4. What methods are used to solve a Numerical 2D Harmonic Oscillator?

There are several methods used to solve a Numerical 2D Harmonic Oscillator, including the Euler method, the Runge-Kutta method, and the Verlet method. These methods use numerical integration techniques to approximate the position and velocity of the particle at different time steps.

5. What are some real-world applications of a Numerical 2D Harmonic Oscillator?

A Numerical 2D Harmonic Oscillator has many real-world applications, including modeling the motion of a pendulum, the vibration of a guitar string, and the behavior of molecules in a crystal lattice. It is also used in engineering and physics to study the dynamics of systems that exhibit harmonic motion.