Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic oscillator coherent state wavefunction

1. Aug 5, 2015 #1
    Hi, I am trying to find the wavefunction of a coherent state of the harmonic oscillator ( potential mw2x2/2 ) with eigenvalue of the lowering operator: b.

I know you can do this is many ways, but I cannot figure out why this particular method does not work.

It can be shown (and you can find this easily on the internet) that the eigenvalue b evolves as:

b(t)=b0e-iwt

What I did was find the coherent state wavefunction u(x,t) by using the eigenfunction equation with the lowering operator a:

a[u(x,t)]=b*u(x,t)

with a=(mwx+(h-bar)*d/dx)/sqrt(2mw(h-bar))

that gives

u(x,t)=const*e-(1/l2)*(x-l*b)2

where l=sqrt(2(h-bar)/mw)

now, when I put in the time evolution of b I get:

u(x,t)=const*e-(1/l2)*(x-lb0e-iwt)2

(I plugged in b(t) from before in for b)

This state does not satisfy the schodinger equation, for one thing it cannot be normalized because the integral over all x of the norm squared of the wavefunction varies in time.

This confuses me because b(t) comes from treating the coherent state as a superposition of harmonic oscillator energy eigenstates, which come from the schrodinger equation. Since the schrodinger equation conserves the integral over all x of probability density, why do I get a state which does not do so from harmonic oscilator states (and thus, by extension, the schrodinger equation)?

Thanks so much in advance, I have done this over several times over the last day and cannot find out anything I did wrong nor a solution online.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2015 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

4. Aug 6, 2015 #3
    Thanks,

But I was wondering if someone knows why the method I described does not work.

5. Aug 8, 2015 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You said in your original post:

Could you give a URL to where this is shown? It doesn't make sense to me.

6. Aug 8, 2015 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

This relation is true in the Heisenberg picture of time evolution, and one must not mix these pictures as in the original posting. I have a treatment of the problem in my QM lecture notes, but only in German, but there are many formulae; so perhaps it's possible to understand the calculations:

http://theory.gsi.de/~vanhees/faq/quant/node51.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook