Numerical Analysis: the power method with shifts

In summary, the question is asking for the value of the shift beta that will result in the fastest convergence to the largest eigenvalue lambda_1 and its eigenvalue when using the power method on the matrix A + betaI. After considering different cases and the rate of convergence, the answer is found to be beta = -(1/2)(lambda_2 + lambda_n).
sarahr

Homework Statement

Consider a symmetric matrix, A, n x n with distinct eigenvalues lambda_1 > lambda_2 > ... > lambda_n (note: i didnt miss anything here typing this, there are no absolute values here). What value of the shift beta will give fastest convergence to lamba_1 and its eigenvalue when the power method is applied to A + betaI ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I know that when beta is very large positive or
negative: the power method works badly or not at all for computing
lambda_1.

Second, the rate of convergence is best when the ratio
between the largest and second largest eigenvalues (in magnitude) is
large. But.. these are not necessarily the shifted versons of lambda_1
and lambda_2 (lambda_1+ beta, lambda_2 + beta). For some shifts,
the shifted version lambda_n at the other end might be the largest or
second largest in magnitude.

I've been trying to look at all the different cases (like the largest eig & second largest eig being both positive, both negative, both centered around zero, etc). I was thinking that the the ratio was largest when the largest eig and the second largest eig are equally centered around zero.. but not completely sure how i should state beta..

any further ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind! i figured it out! :)

Answer?

Does anyone know how to solve this question?

I think the answer is beta = -(1/2)(lambda_2 + lambda_n), however I have no idea how to reach this. Any help appreciated!

1. What is Numerical Analysis and how is it used in the power method with shifts?

Numerical Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the development and application of numerical methods to solve mathematical problems that are too complex to solve analytically. The power method with shifts is a numerical algorithm used to find the dominant eigenvalue and corresponding eigenvector of a square matrix.

2. What is the difference between the power method and the power method with shifts?

The power method is a basic numerical algorithm used to find the dominant eigenvalue and corresponding eigenvector of a matrix. The power method with shifts is an advanced version of the power method that incorporates a shifting parameter to accelerate the convergence of the algorithm.

3. How does the power method with shifts work?

The power method with shifts works by repeatedly multiplying a starting vector by the matrix, while also incorporating a shifting parameter that helps to better approximate the dominant eigenvalue. The algorithm continues to iterate until the resulting vector converges to the dominant eigenvector.

4. What are the advantages of using the power method with shifts?

The power method with shifts has several advantages over the basic power method. It can converge faster, is more accurate, and can handle a wider range of matrices. It is also more stable, meaning it is less likely to diverge or give incorrect results.

5. What are some applications of the power method with shifts?

The power method with shifts has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is commonly used in the analysis of large networks, data compression, and image processing. It is also used in solving differential equations and in machine learning algorithms.