1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using power method to calculate dominant eigenvalue and eigenvectors

1. May 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use the power method to calculate the dominant eigenvalue and its corresponding eigenvectors for the matrices.
    The questions are attached with this thread. I have attempted both and seem to have done the first question correctly. I am attempting the second question and am stuck as after finding one eigenvector I got the same result again. Can anybody help me out with what I have to do here?

Also, when taking out a value from the matrix, should it be the middle value or the highest value in the matrix?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2012 #2
    Sounds like you found an eigenvector with eigenvalue 1, congratulations :-)

But you should probably try another, orthogonal, start vector too to see if there's another larger eigenvalue.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook