Numerical integration of 1/((1+x)√x) from 0 to infinity

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
Dominguez Scaramanga
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Hello there, I've not been here in a while, but I'm stuck doing this integration and wondered if some of you kind people would help :smile:

[tex]\int_0^\infty \frac{1} {(1+x)\sqrt{x}} dx[/tex]

(appologies for the lack of spacing in there...)

anyways, I know that when x tends to infinity, the integral can be approximated to,


[tex]\int_0^\infty \frac{1} {(x)\sqrt{x}} dx[/tex]

but I can't seem to find this identity in any of my tables anywhere...

The reason I need it is because I'm in the processes of writing some c code to analytically calculate this with a specified degree of acuracy, (am going to use the trapezium method of integration I think) so it would be nice to know if the answers I get out of it are any good or not!

thanks for you time :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That integral (the first) can be very simply computed analytically to yield the result [itex]\pi[/itex]...Heck,u can even define [itex]\pi[/itex] by it

[tex]\pi=:\int_{0}^{+\infty} \frac{dx}{(1+x)\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

HINT:Make the obvious substitution
[tex]\sqrt{x}=t[/tex]

Daniel.
 
wow, even more helpful, thanks a lot :smile:

also, would I be correct in saying that the limit of the integrand as x-->infinity is pi, in that case?
or have I got completely mudled up? :confused:
 
Define

[tex]P(x)=:\int_{0}^{x} \frac{dt}{(1+t)\sqrt{t}}[/tex]

Show that

[tex]P(x)=2\arctan x[/tex]

Then it's easy to say

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty} P(x)=\pi[/tex]

Not the integrand!The integrands's (inferior) limit to [itex]0[/itex] is [itex]+\infty[/itex],while its limit to [itex]+\infty[/itex] is [itex]0[/itex] (:wink:)

Daniel.
 
thanks very much for your help dextercioby, it'll be most useful!

now all I've got to do is figure out how to do this with C :wink:

also, where you have,

[tex]P(x)=:\int_{0}^{x} \frac{dt}{(1+t)\sqrt{t}}[/tex]

that'll yield the same result as for

[tex]F(x)=:\int_{0}^{+\infty} \frac{dx}{(1+x)\sqrt{x}}[/tex]

with the substitution

[tex]\sqrt{x}=t[/tex]

right?
:smile:
 
Last edited:
ah I see, ok, so the first one, with x = +infinity, will equal pi, the same as the bottom one would (had I wrote it correctly).