Nusselt Number Correlation

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a Nusselt number correlation for a shell & tube heat exchanger in the Re < 3000 region, specifically for extremely laminar flow in a lab experiment. The speaker mentions finding empirical correlations for Re > 3000 and requests assistance in finding the right direction. Two possible correlations are suggested, both found in the speaker's Waermeatlas from 1984 and both specific to flow through pipes. The equation BvU is also mentioned as a good approximation for laminar flow heat transfer in a tube with a constant wall temperature.
cruckshank
I am looking for a Nusselt number correlation that will work for a shell & tube heat exchanger in the Re < 3000 region, i.e. extremely laminar flow (for a lab experiment).

I've been searching for a while now, but can only find empirical correlations for Re > 3000, and was thus hoping that someone could point me in the right direction.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Slightly annoying. First it posts the same thing three times, then it deletes the first while I 'deleted' 2 and 3. Great.

http://www.itcp.kit.edu/deutschmann/img/content/Doppelrohrwaermeaustauscher.pdf page 9 (Hausen 1959)
http://www.zogg-engineering.ch/MVTTVT/Buch_WuS.pdf page 29 (Stephan 1959)

Both occur in my Waermeatlas (1984 ! ) where there is also Schluender (1972) $$
\operatorname {Nu_0} = \sqrt[\uproot{4} \leftroot{-4} \scriptstyle 3]{ \; 3.66^3 + 1.61^3 \, \operatorname {Re}\,\operatorname {Pr}\,d_i/l \; } $$

All in German, all for flow through pipes

The equation BvU gives a good approximation for laminar flow heat transfer in a tube, including both the thermal entrance region and for distances beyond the thermal entrance region. This equation applies to a constant wall temperature.

What is a Nusselt Number Correlation?

A Nusselt Number Correlation is a mathematical equation that relates the convective heat transfer coefficient to other parameters, such as fluid properties and flow conditions. It is commonly used in heat transfer calculations to determine the rate of heat transfer between a solid surface and a moving fluid.

Why is the Nusselt Number Correlation important?

The Nusselt Number Correlation is important because it allows for accurate prediction of heat transfer rates in various industrial and engineering applications. It is also used to optimize heat transfer processes and improve efficiency in systems such as heat exchangers and cooling systems.

How is the Nusselt Number Correlation calculated?

The Nusselt Number Correlation is calculated using experimental data and empirical correlations. These correlations are based on the physical laws of heat transfer and are developed through statistical analysis of experimental data.

What factors affect the Nusselt Number Correlation?

The Nusselt Number Correlation is affected by various factors, such as fluid properties, flow conditions, geometry of the system, and surface roughness. These factors can influence the convective heat transfer coefficient and ultimately impact the Nusselt Number Correlation.

Can the Nusselt Number Correlation be used for all types of heat transfer?

No, the Nusselt Number Correlation is primarily used for convective heat transfer, which occurs when there is a fluid motion or flow involved. It cannot be applied to other types of heat transfer, such as conduction or radiation.