1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensions of k in Nusselt Number

1. Sep 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A common dimensionless group used in heat transfer calculations is defined as:

Nu=[itex]\frac{hD}{k}[/itex]

where h is the heat transfer coefficient, and D is the diameter of the pipe in which heat transfer takes place. Please determine the dimensions of the quantity k in terms of mass (M), length (L), time (T) and temperature ([itex]\theta[/itex]) and in terms of SI units.
    2. Relevant equations

Nu=[itex]\frac{hD}{k}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So far, I've worked out that the units for h are J/(m2 hr C), but I'm having difficulty expressing k in terms of what is given.

Am I wrong is thinking that J/(m2 hr C) can be expressed as W/(m2 K)? I'm thinking that this is relevant to the end units of k, but I am unsure if the dimensions are correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2015 #2
    Well, in SI units h, the heat transfer coefficient is given in J/(m² s K), or W/(m² K) as 1 W = 1 J/s. Hour (hr) is not one of the SI system's base units.

Therefore, k, the thermal conductivity, should be expressed as W/(m K) and in MLTΘ notation it is expressed as MLT⁻³Θ⁻¹.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted