Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nusselt Number dimension question

1. Sep 8, 2012 #1
    So, in

Nu=[itex]\frac{hD}{k}[/itex]

h is the heat transfer coefficient, and D is the diameter of the pipe in which heat transfer takes place...

..but what are the dimensions of k in terms of mass (M), length (L), time (T) and temperature ([itex]\theta[/itex])?

So far, I've worked out that the units for h are J/(m2 hr C), but I'm having difficulty expressing k in terms of what is given.

Am I wrong is thinking that J/(m2 hr C) can be expressed as W/(m2 K)? I'm thinking that this is relevant to the end units of k, but I am unsure if the dimensions are correct.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2012 #2
    The Nussult number is dimensionless, so if you already know the units of h and D, then the units of k should be obvious: J/(m hr C)

4. Sep 11, 2012 #3
    We could do some major dimensional analysis with this to prove it, but I really don't feel like it. I'm guessing you've done the old pi theorem already though?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook