Nvidia revives the 3dfx voodoo GPU line

In summary, Nvidia has revived the 3dfx "voodoo" GPU line in collaboration with ex-employees of the now-defunct company. The new GPU contains 233 unmodified VSA-100 voodoo chips and offers performance comparable to the GeForce GTX 590. The date on the article is an April Fool's joke.
FishmanGeertz
Nvidia revives the 3dfx "voodoo" GPU line

http://www.geforce.com/#/News/articles/voodoo-revived

Apparently the Nvidia corporation and ex-employees of the now-defunct "3DFX" company have revived the "voodoo" line of graphics cards. Apparently they are releasing a new GPU which has roughly 233 of the old, unmodified VSA-100 voodoo chips inside of it. The performance is roughly comparable to the GeForce GTX 590, currently the fastest graphics card in existence.

I remember, in circa 1998 I got a gateway desktop which had a Pentium 2, 128MB RAM, and a 3dfx voodoo 2 in it. I played quake 2 a few dozen times over, as well as other classics like "carmageddon 2" half-life, and the very first "unreal" game. I had tremendous amounts of fun!

Computer science news on Phys.org

Sigh...

Read the date on the article.

Pengwuino said:
Sigh...

Spoil sport. Nice to see them in the spirit though!

Just in case no one believes the date issue: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=196870

Pengwuino said:
Sigh...

Hahahahaha, the OP had me there for a second.

It reminded me of a video card advertisement that came out with MaximPC years ago when video card manufacturers were just adding more and more chips to a single card to make them faster:

http://tinyurl.com/3ohw8kq

I tiny url'd it because the URL had a potentially unsuitable word for this forum.

KrisOhn said:
Hahahahaha, the OP had me there for a second.

I think the OP had himself for a minute there!

1. What is the significance of Nvidia reviving the 3dfx voodoo GPU line?

The 3dfx voodoo GPU line was a pioneering series of graphics processing units from the 1990s that revolutionized the gaming industry. By bringing it back, Nvidia is paying homage to the legacy of 3dfx and introducing a new generation of gamers to this iconic technology.

2. How is the new 3dfx voodoo GPU line different from previous versions?

The new 3dfx voodoo GPU line is an updated and modernized version of the original GPUs. It incorporates the latest advancements in graphics technology, such as ray tracing and AI-enhanced graphics, while still retaining the retro charm and performance of the original 3dfx voodoo GPUs.

3. Will the Nvidia 3dfx voodoo GPUs be compatible with current gaming systems?

Yes, the new 3dfx voodoo GPUs will be compatible with current gaming systems as they are designed to work with modern operating systems and hardware. However, some older games may require specific drivers to fully utilize the 3dfx voodoo technology.

4. How does the revival of the 3dfx voodoo GPU line impact the gaming industry?

The revival of the 3dfx voodoo GPU line is expected to have a significant impact on the gaming industry. It will bring back nostalgia for older gamers while introducing newer generations to the technology that paved the way for modern graphics. It may also lead to increased competition and innovation among other GPU manufacturers.

5. When will the new Nvidia 3dfx voodoo GPUs be available for purchase?

The release date for the new 3dfx voodoo GPUs has not been officially announced yet. However, rumors suggest that they may be available for purchase by the end of 2021 or early 2022. As with any new technology release, there may be delays or changes in the timeline, so it is best to stay updated through official announcements from Nvidia.