Object dropped from plane - where does it land?

• Thread starter x^2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary: We can use the kinematic equation x_f = x_i + v_i t + (1/2) a t^2 to solve this problem. The initial position, x_i, is 0 since the plane is dropping the object from a height of 227m. The initial velocity, v_i, is also 0 since the object is dropped from rest. The acceleration, a, is -9.8 m/s^2 since gravity is pulling the object towards the ground. We are solving for the time, t, when the object hits the ground. So we have:227m = (1/2)(-9.8m/s^2)t^2227m = -4.9m/s^
x^2

Homework Statement

A plane is dropping an object from a height of 227m, such that it lands at a group of people on the ground. The speed of the plane is 60 m/s. How many meters before the group does the plane have to drop the object such that it lands at their position?

Homework Equations

xf = xi + vix delta t + (1/2) ax(delta t)2

The Attempt at a Solution

From my understanding, I need to break up the x and y components of this problem. If I can find the time it takes the object to hit the ground, I can multiply it by the plane's velocity and see what distance the plane must be from the observers for the package to hit its target.

227 m = 9.8t m/s^2
(227 m)/(9.8 m/s^2) = t
t^2 = 23.162
t = sqrt(23.162)
t = 4.813 seconds

Now that I have the time it took for the object to fall, I can multiply it by the plane's velocity to see how far in the x direction the object will travel in 4.813 seconds:

4.813 s * 60 m/s = 288.78 m

This is the answer I get, but it isn't correct. I can't see how multiplying the velocity by the time is wrong, but perhaps I have the wrong time?

Thanks,
x^2

Physics news on Phys.org
x^2 said:
227 m = 9.8t m/s^2

Something is wrong with that equation, since the units are different on the 2 sides:

m ≠ s ⋅ m/s^2
m ≠ m/s

Dear [Name],

Thank you for your question. I can provide a response to the problem you have presented.

First, let us break down the problem into its components. We have a plane dropping an object from a height of 227m, with a speed of 60 m/s. The object is intended to land at a group of people on the ground. We need to determine the distance from the group that the object needs to be dropped in order to hit its target.

To solve this problem, we can use the equation xf = xi + vix delta t + (1/2) ax(delta t)2, where xf is the final position, xi is the initial position, vix is the initial velocity in the x direction, delta t is the time, and ax is the acceleration in the x direction.

First, we need to determine the time it takes for the object to hit the ground. We can do this by using the equation xf = xi + vix delta t + (1/2) ax(delta t)2 and setting xf to 0 (since the object will hit the ground at 0m):

0 = 227m + 60 m/s * delta t + (1/2) * (-9.8 m/s^2) * (delta t)^2

Simplifying, we get:
0 = 227m + 60 m/s * delta t - 4.9 (delta t)^2

We can solve this quadratic equation using the quadratic formula:
(delta t)^2 - 12.24 (delta t) - 227 = 0
Solving for delta t, we get:
delta t = 11.86 seconds or delta t = -19.12 seconds

Since we are dealing with time, we can disregard the negative solution and use the positive solution of 11.86 seconds.

Now that we have the time it takes for the object to hit the ground, we can determine the distance it will travel in the x direction. Using the equation xf = xi + vix delta t, we get:

xf = 0 + 60 m/s * 11.86 seconds
xf = 711.6 m

Therefore, the plane needs to drop the object 711.6 meters away from the group in order for it to hit its target.

I hope this explanation helps. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate

What factors affect where an object dropped from a plane will land?

The distance the object will travel before hitting the ground is affected by several factors, including the height at which it is dropped, the weight and size of the object, the air resistance or drag on the object, and the wind speed and direction.

How long does it take for an object dropped from a plane to land?

The time it takes for an object to land depends on its initial velocity and the force of gravity. On Earth, the average free fall acceleration is 9.8 meters per second squared, so it takes approximately 3 seconds for an object to fall 45 meters (150 feet).

Why does an object dropped from a plane fall straight down?

Objects dropped from a plane fall straight down because of gravity. Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. As long as there is no other force acting on the object, it will continue to fall straight down.

Can an object dropped from a plane change direction while falling?

Yes, an object dropped from a plane can change direction while falling if there is a force acting on it. For example, if the object encounters a strong gust of wind, it may be pushed off course and land in a different location than if there was no wind.

What is the maximum distance an object can travel when dropped from a plane?

The maximum distance an object can travel when dropped from a plane depends on the height at which it is dropped and the initial velocity. With no air resistance, the maximum distance an object can travel is called the "horizontal range" and can be calculated using the projectile motion equation. However, in reality, air resistance will slow down the object and limit its horizontal range.