Projectile motion on an inclined plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the time it takes for a projectile to hit an inclined plane at a certain angle. This is done by setting the horizontal component of the velocity to zero and using the equation t = (2 Vi sin θi) / (g cos ∅) to solve for t. The conversation also addresses the confusion of whether the question is referring to the projectile hitting the plane horizontally or at a 90 degree angle, and clarifies that the correct approach is to consider the angle between the projectile vector and the horizontal. The conversation concludes with the discussion of "rotating" the plane and the acceleration of free fall to simplify the problem.
songoku
Homework Statement
An object move in trajectory as shown. Find:
a. the time when the particle falls to the plane
b. tan⁡ θ[SUB]i[/SUB] so that the particle hits the plane vertically
Relevant Equations
Projectile motion
Untitled.png

a. I tried to "rotate" the inclined plane so the surface of the inclined plane becomes horizontal

h = Vi sin θi . t - 1/2 g cos ∅ t2 and when it falls to the plane, y = 0 so:
0 = Vi sin θi . t - 1/2 g cos ∅ t2
t = (2 Vi sin θi) / (g cos ∅)

Is this correct?b. Particle hits the plane vertically means that vertical component of the velocity must be zero. Since the vertical component of velocity of the object will never be zero if we take horizontal line as reference so I think I need to take the surface of inclined plane as reference.

Vx = 0
Vi cos θi - g sin ∅ . t = 0

Then I don't know how to continue

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Particle hits the plane vertically means that vertical component of the velocity must be zero.
No, if it hits vertically then the horizontal component is zero. But that will only happen if it was vertical on take off, so makes no sense.
I would think question should specify either horizontally or normal to the plane.

songoku said:
Vi cos θi - g sin ∅ . t = 0
Assuming the question means that the projectile hits the plane at a 90 degree angle to the plane: You already have an expression for ##t## for when the projectile hits. Insert this and solve for ##\tan\theta_i##.

haruspex said:
No, if it hits vertically then the horizontal component is zero. But that will only happen if it was vertical on take off, so makes no sense.
I would think question should specify either horizontally or normal to the plane.
Ah yes, my bad. I mean horizontal component of velocity is zero. I think horizontally is impossible so I assume the question is referring to normal to the plane.

Orodruin said:
Assuming the question means that the projectile hits the plane at a 90 degree angle to the plane: You already have an expression for ##t## for when the projectile hits. Insert this and solve for ##\tan\theta_i##.
Oh ok, don't realize I can use time from question (a)

Thank you very much for the help haruspex and orodruin

I am not sure you can just "rotate the plane" to solve for t. The projectile is launched at an angle ##(θ+∅)## to the horizontal. Unless angle θ is supposed to be between projectile vector and horizontal rather that between projectile vector and inclined plane as appears to be the case in your diagram ?

neilparker62 said:
I am not sure you can just "rotate the plane" to solve for t. The projectile is launched at an angle ##(θ+∅)## to the horizontal. Unless angle θ is supposed to be between projectile vector and horizontal rather that between projectile vector and inclined plane as appears to be the case in your diagram ?
The OP has done that part correctly.

neilparker62 said:
I "rotate the plane" so that the object moves with initial angle θi and I also "rotate" the acceleration of free fall so it has component in both horizontal and vertical direction

Ok - sorry. Missed that you were also 'rotating' g.

1. What is projectile motion on an inclined plane?

Projectile motion on an inclined plane is the movement of an object that is launched or thrown at an angle on a sloped surface. It combines the concepts of both projectile motion and motion on an inclined plane.

2. How is projectile motion on an inclined plane different from regular projectile motion?

In regular projectile motion, the object is launched or thrown at a horizontal angle, while in projectile motion on an inclined plane, the object is launched or thrown at an angle on a sloped surface. This changes the trajectory and path of the object.

3. What factors affect projectile motion on an inclined plane?

The factors that affect projectile motion on an inclined plane include the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, the slope of the inclined plane, and the presence of any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. How can we calculate the range of a projectile on an inclined plane?

The range of a projectile on an inclined plane can be calculated using the equation R = (V^2sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, V is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What is the purpose of studying projectile motion on an inclined plane?

Studying projectile motion on an inclined plane helps us understand the principles of motion and how different factors can affect the trajectory of an object. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports.