Obstacles for Life in the Degenerate Era

• Thread starter tzaharia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation discusses the various obstacles and stages of evolution that life forms would have to overcome in order to survive in the future. The importance of energy and technology in sustaining life is highlighted, as well as the challenges of acquiring and defending these resources. The concept of "high energy" technologies is also mentioned.
tzaharia
There are many obstacles for life forms to overcome and many states of evolution that would have to take place for many of those species.

I am looking for specific problems that need to be overcome. Besides resources, I'm looking for more attributes which affect physical existence, such as proton decay, the loss of heat, and so on.

If humans survived during this time period, what technologies or necessities be required in order to keep them alive?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm by no means an expert. but I think it would come down to Energy almost every time.
If humanity and other races have survived into this time period. Then Technology would have a solution to every thing, provided you had enough energy.

I think the Big question would be how do these people (either Human, Alien or Transhuman) Acquire said Energy resources. Secondly how do they economically (for them) defend these resources from the masses of have nots?
Physical Resources would be almost easy to come by since it would have been concentrated in useable forms by their predecessors, but it would again take energy to re-manufacture, Re-process, or re-activate these devices before they could be used by the beings that found it.

Also many High energy technologies that were common probably are not, or at least used as sparingly as possible, Identifying what would constitute High energy would be up to you thou.

My 2 Cents

1. What is the Degenerate Era?

The Degenerate Era is a period in the future of the universe where all the stars have run out of fuel and stopped shining, leaving only a few low-heat objects like white dwarfs and black holes. This is estimated to occur in about 10^14 years.

2. What are some potential obstacles for life in the Degenerate Era?

There are several obstacles for life in the Degenerate Era, including the lack of energy sources and extreme temperatures. Without stars, there will be no source of light or heat for planets, making it difficult for life to survive. Additionally, the universe will continue to expand, causing temperatures to drop significantly, potentially making it too cold for life to exist.

3. Could any forms of life still exist in the Degenerate Era?

It is possible that some forms of life could still exist in the Degenerate Era, such as extremophiles or organisms that have adapted to survive in extreme conditions. However, it is unlikely that complex life forms like humans would be able to survive without a steady source of energy.

4. How does the Degenerate Era compare to other stages of the universe?

The Degenerate Era is the last stage of the universe, following the Stelliferous Era (where stars are actively forming and shining) and the Black Hole Era (where black holes dominate the universe). It is considered the "end" of the universe, as there will be no more sources of energy to sustain life or any other processes.

5. Is there any way to prevent the Degenerate Era from occurring?

Unfortunately, there is no known way to prevent the Degenerate Era from occurring. It is a natural process that is predicted to happen based on our current understanding of the laws of physics. However, it is possible that future advancements in technology and understanding could potentially delay or mitigate the effects of the Degenerate Era.