1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Obtaining a more accurate calculator?

1. Jun 18, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to calculate relativistic photon energy shifts, and I have to use [tex]e^{\frac{x}{c^{2}}}[/tex]
    However,since I'm dealing with the speed of light, the exponent becomes extremely small and my TI-84 gives me a nonsensical value.

Could anyone recommend a more accurate calculator?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If [tex]\frac{x}{c^{2}}[/tex] is that small, how inaccurate would it be to approximate the answer as [tex]1+\frac{x}{c^{2}}[/tex]?

4. Jun 18, 2012 #3
    so you think i should use maclaurin's expansion?

5. Jun 18, 2012 #4
    Yes, just cut the first two terms. By the Lagrange form of the remainder, we obtain that an upper bound for the error can be given by [itex]\displaystyle \frac{x^{k+1}}{(k+1)!c^{2k+2}}[/itex] in a Taylor polynomial of degree k. Taking k as two (the above case), we obtain that an upper bound of the error is [itex]\displaystyle \frac{x^3}{6c^6}[/itex], which, as long as [itex]x\leq c[/itex], is accurate to at least 5 decimal places.

6. Jun 18, 2012 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That would be taking the first 3 terms, no? Sure, that should be fine, but the first two terms might be enough. How big is x/c2, and how accurate do you need the answer to be?

7. Jun 18, 2012 #6
  8. Jun 18, 2012 #7
    my answer would be in the range of 10^-11 eV.

9. Jun 18, 2012 #8
  10. Oct 29, 2012 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

x/c2 has units? Doesn't seem right. What exactly does x represent?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook