Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Obtaining a more accurate calculator?

1. Jun 18, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to calculate relativistic photon energy shifts, and I have to use [tex]e^{\frac{x}{c^{2}}}[/tex]
    However,since I'm dealing with the speed of light, the exponent becomes extremely small and my TI-84 gives me a nonsensical value.

Could anyone recommend a more accurate calculator?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If [tex]\frac{x}{c^{2}}[/tex] is that small, how inaccurate would it be to approximate the answer as [tex]1+\frac{x}{c^{2}}[/tex]?

4. Jun 18, 2012 #3
    so you think i should use maclaurin's expansion?

5. Jun 18, 2012 #4
    Yes, just cut the first two terms. By the Lagrange form of the remainder, we obtain that an upper bound for the error can be given by [itex]\displaystyle \frac{x^{k+1}}{(k+1)!c^{2k+2}}[/itex] in a Taylor polynomial of degree k. Taking k as two (the above case), we obtain that an upper bound of the error is [itex]\displaystyle \frac{x^3}{6c^6}[/itex], which, as long as [itex]x\leq c[/itex], is accurate to at least 5 decimal places.

6. Jun 18, 2012 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That would be taking the first 3 terms, no? Sure, that should be fine, but the first two terms might be enough. How big is x/c2, and how accurate do you need the answer to be?

7. Jun 18, 2012 #6
  8. Jun 18, 2012 #7
    my answer would be in the range of 10^-11 eV.

9. Jun 18, 2012 #8
  10. Oct 29, 2012 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

x/c2 has units? Doesn't seem right. What exactly does x represent?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook