1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Obtaining the angular momentum state of two spin 1/2 particles for (S=0)

1. Nov 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

consider the possible angular momentum states |s,m>, of a system of two spin-1/2 particles

construct all possible states with total spin zero (S=0)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

if total S of system is zero, m must also equal zero. So the only state is |s=0,m=0>

and |s=0,m=0> = 1/sqrt(2)[ up*down - down*up ]

I got the exact form of |0,0> from my text book, but I dont understand how this particular combination of up/down states is aquired.

considering the state |s=1,m=1>, its intuitive that m can only equal 1 if both spins are +1/2. The same goes for |s=1,m=-1> where both spins are -1/2.

Then one can obtain |s=1,m=0> by applying the lowering operator to yield:

|s=1,m=0> = 1/sqrt(2)[up*down+down*up)

my book gives a thorough explanation i deriving the s=1 states, but then it just gives the S=0 state without much explanation.

so how do you obtain |s=0,m=0> = 1/sqrt(2)[ up*down - down*up ] ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF!

Can you show that the state |s = 0, m = 0> must be orthogonal to |s = 1, m = 0>?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook