1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Occidental College for Undergraduate Physics?

1. Jul 13, 2012 #1
    I'm currently set to attend a community college (basically due to cost and convenience), but I found Occidental College, and I wanted to look into possibly transferring after a year.
    I would've applied to this school right away, but I didn't find out about it until roughly January of my senior year, after the application deadline.
    I wanted to ask if anyone knew anything about their physics program?
    Is it solid? Would I have research opportunities at all? Would it prepare me for graduate school?
    It seems that they have a partnership with a couple of great schools, including Caltech, in that they have a 3/2 Physics/Engineering program with them.
    I also was curious if this means that a physics degree from Occidental may look good in applying for graduate school at Caltech, or any other Ivy (my other top choice would be University of Chicago, seeing as though I kinda' do miss my hometown)?
    I hear that though they're relatively unheard of to the public, Occidental has a very good reputation among educational circles.
    Also, I've been really wanting to go to L.A. for a good while.
    Basically, this school sounds like a dream to me so far, but academics are the most important aspect, so I really want to know more.

NOTE: I'm re-posting this here, because I accidentally posted it in Career Guidance, when I meant to click Academic Guidance (oops! sorry!). Sorry about that. x___x

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2012 #2

You know, there are other good schools in Los Angles, like UCLA, that have strong undergrad programs and international reputations...

4. Jul 18, 2012 #3
    Occidental is well known for being President Obama's undergraduate alma mater. He did not complete his degree there however, as he transferred to Columbia after spending a year there.

BiP

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook