Occidental College for Undergraduate Physics?

In summary, Occidental College has a great physics program and a partnership with a few top universities. It may be a good option for graduate school if you have a degree from there.
D4V1D
I'm currently set to attend a community college (basically due to cost and convenience), but I found Occidental College, and I wanted to look into possibly transferring after a year.
I would've applied to this school right away, but I didn't find out about it until roughly January of my senior year, after the application deadline.
I wanted to ask if anyone knew anything about their physics program?
Is it solid? Would I have research opportunities at all? Would it prepare me for graduate school?
It seems that they have a partnership with a couple of great schools, including Caltech, in that they have a 3/2 Physics/Engineering program with them.
I also was curious if this means that a physics degree from Occidental may look good in applying for graduate school at Caltech, or any other Ivy (my other top choice would be University of Chicago, seeing as though I kinda' do miss my hometown)?
I hear that though they're relatively unheard of to the public, Occidental has a very good reputation among educational circles.
Also, I've been really wanting to go to L.A. for a good while.
Basically, this school sounds like a dream to me so far, but academics are the most important aspect, so I really want to know more.

NOTE: I'm re-posting this here, because I accidentally posted it in Career Guidance, when I meant to click Academic Guidance (oops! sorry!). Sorry about that. x___x

Physics news on Phys.org
D4V1D said:
I'm currently set to attend a community college (basically due to cost and convenience), but I found Occidental College, and I wanted to look into possibly transferring after a year.
I would've applied to this school right away, but I didn't find out about it until roughly January of my senior year, after the application deadline.
I wanted to ask if anyone knew anything about their physics program?
Is it solid? Would I have research opportunities at all? Would it prepare me for graduate school?
It seems that they have a partnership with a couple of great schools, including Caltech, in that they have a 3/2 Physics/Engineering program with them.
I also was curious if this means that a physics degree from Occidental may look good in applying for graduate school at Caltech, or any other Ivy (my other top choice would be University of Chicago, seeing as though I kinda' do miss my hometown)?
I hear that though they're relatively unheard of to the public, Occidental has a very good reputation among educational circles.
Also, I've been really wanting to go to L.A. for a good while.
Basically, this school sounds like a dream to me so far, but academics are the most important aspect, so I really want to know more.

NOTE: I'm re-posting this here, because I accidentally posted it in Career Guidance, when I meant to click Academic Guidance (oops! sorry!). Sorry about that. x___x

You know, there are other good schools in Los Angles, like UCLA, that have strong undergrad programs and international reputations...

Occidental is well known for being President Obama's undergraduate alma mater. He did not complete his degree there however, as he transferred to Columbia after spending a year there.

BiP

1. What is the average class size for physics courses at Occidental College?

The average class size for physics courses at Occidental College is 20 students, with a maximum of 25 students per class. This allows for a personalized and interactive learning experience for students.

2. Are there research opportunities for undergraduate physics students at Occidental College?

Yes, Occidental College offers various research opportunities for undergraduate physics students. Students can participate in research projects with faculty members, as well as apply for funding to conduct their own independent research projects.

3. Can I major in both physics and another subject at Occidental College?

Yes, students at Occidental College have the option to double major in physics and another subject. The physics major requires 13 courses, which can easily be combined with other majors.

4. Is Occidental College known for its physics program?

Yes, Occidental College is well-known for its physics program. In fact, the physics department has been recognized for its excellence by the American Physical Society, and many alumni have gone on to pursue successful careers in physics.

5. Are there opportunities for physics students to study abroad at Occidental College?

Yes, Occidental College offers various study abroad programs for physics students. These programs allow students to take physics courses and conduct research in different countries, providing a unique and valuable academic experience.