Sum of cosines with odd multiples of π/n when n is odd

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter xuying1209
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
xuying1209
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
if n is an odd, cosπ/n+cos3π/n+cos5π/n+...+cos(2n-1)π/n is equal to what?
And how can I prove it??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For n= 1, cos(pi/1)= -1.

For n> 1, n odd, essentially you are adding the real parts of the 2nth roots of unity. Since those roots are symmetric about the imaginary axis, the sum is 0.
 
Ahh that it was... almost racked my brains out 'cause "π" I read as n ( not [itex]\pi[/itex]) ...
:smile:
 
I am not sure what is being asked. Is this [tex]\sum cos(n_i)/n_i, or \sum cos(pi*n_i/n_i), or what?[/tex]
 
Last edited:
I interpreted as sum of [itex]cos(i\pi/n)[/tex] for i= 1 to n-1.[/itex]