Odds of getting pairs -- QM version

• I
  • Thread starter anuttarasammyak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of odds for the number of pairs with the same energy level in a quantum system with 16 electron pairs. The probabilities are found to be significantly different when observing spin z component together compared to not observing it. The difference between classical and quantum cases is also explored.
anuttarasammyak
Gold Member
As a spin out of How to calculate these odds?
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-to-calculate-these-odds.1012014/
I have a question for quantum objects.
Question : An atom system has 16 different energy levels filled with 16 electron pairs of opposite spin direction. We pick up or measuring energy of 4 of them. Calculate odds for numbers of pairs of same energy we get in the observation results.

I assume:
If we observe spin z component of electrons together, the result is same as the thread.
If we do not observe it the number of cases are
2 pairs : ##\ _{16}C_2 = 120##
1 pair : ##\ _{16}C_1 \ _{15}C_2 = 1680 ##
0 pair : ##\ _{16}C_4 = 1820##
Total case number is ##120+1680+1820=3620##
So the probabilities are
P(2)=0.033 > 0.003 which is the result in the thread
P(1)=0.464 > 0.187
P(0)=0.503 < 0.810

I would like to know whether such a difference between classical and quantum cases takes place or not and if yes also this calculation is reasonable or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ha, I like it. subbed.

1. What is the concept of "odds of getting pairs" in the context of quantum mechanics?

The concept of "odds of getting pairs" in quantum mechanics refers to the likelihood of two particles being measured in the same state or having correlated properties. This is a fundamental aspect of quantum entanglement, where two particles can become entangled and share a connection even when separated by large distances.

2. How are the odds of getting pairs calculated in quantum mechanics?

The odds of getting pairs in quantum mechanics are calculated using mathematical equations and principles, such as the Schrödinger equation and the principles of superposition and entanglement. These calculations can be complex and involve probabilities and wave functions.

3. What factors affect the odds of getting pairs in quantum mechanics?

The odds of getting pairs in quantum mechanics can be affected by various factors, such as the type of particles involved, their initial states, and the strength of their entanglement. Additionally, external factors such as interactions with other particles or measurement processes can also impact the odds of getting pairs.

4. Can the odds of getting pairs be manipulated or controlled in quantum mechanics?

Yes, the odds of getting pairs can be manipulated or controlled in quantum mechanics through various methods. For example, by adjusting the initial states of the particles or by using quantum gates and measurements, scientists can alter the probabilities of particles becoming entangled and thus affect the odds of getting pairs.

5. How are the odds of getting pairs relevant in practical applications of quantum mechanics?

The odds of getting pairs play a crucial role in various practical applications of quantum mechanics, such as quantum cryptography and quantum computing. Understanding and manipulating the odds of getting pairs is essential for these technologies to function effectively and securely.