1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ODE: limit as parameters tend to 0

1. Mar 4, 2006 #1
    Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I just realized that if we take a certain general ODE such as y''+k^2 y=0 for example, and assume that in a specific case k=0 the solution is vastly different depending on whether k is set to 0 before or after solving the ODE.

The general solution to y''+k^2 y = 0 (with k>0) is y=A cos(kx)+B sin(kx).
    If we then set k=0 the solution reduces to y=A.
    Yet, if we set k=0 in the original ODE we get [1] y''=0, whose solution is [2] y=Bx+C.
    Where A, B, and C are constants.

I get analogous results for y''-k^2 y = 0.

On the other hand, if I start with y''+2b y'+k^2 y = 0, then it seems that setting either b or k to 0, but not both, can be done either in the ODE itself or in the general solution.

Hrm, I just had another insight while writing this. The form of solution [2] is due to the characteristic equation having a repeated real root of r=0. Is this the reason why my initial attempt failed? Because I was setting the parameter to the same value as the eigenvalue of the ODE?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Basically, that's correct. In your first two examples, as k goes to 0, the characteristic equation goes from having two distinct solutions to one solution. For your third example, the characteristic equation is r2+ 2br+ k2= 0 which, in general has two distinct solutions. Taking either parameter 0 gives r2+ k2= 0 which still has 2 (imaginary) solutions or r2+ 2br= 0 which also still has two solutions (one r= 0).

In technical terms, for your first two examples, k= 0 is a "bifurcation point".

Generally, solutions will have distinct qualitative changes at a bifurcation point.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  4. Mar 4, 2006 #3
    Thank you, now I have a starting point to look more into this. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?