ODE -> Transfer Function Assistance

In summary: Can anyone please offer any advice on how to go about this or suggest a book or website that I could explore?In summary, cnh1995 is trying to design a linear controller for a buoyancy control module for a submersible. He is not familiar with state space equations and wants to know if anyone has any advice.
BlueTempus
Homework Statement:: ODE -> Transfer Function Assistance
Relevant Equations:: Newtonian physics, buoyancy, drag

[Mentor Note -- thread moved to DE from the schoolwork forums, since it is for work and not schoolwork]

Hello all,

I'm new here but I'm looking for a bit of guidance with a control engineering project I'm working on.

I am currently working on designing a buoyancy control module for a submersible. Using Newtonian physics equations, I have started with the following:

$$ma=mg−pgV+0.5pACv^2$$

where m = mass, a = acceleration, g = acceleration due to gravity, p = water density, V = Volume of displaced water (buoyancy), A = cross sectional area of craft, C = coefficient of drag and v = velocity

As I am trying to implement a linear controller, I decided to treat the drag as linear and remove the squared term. I'm not sure if this is appropriate:

$$ma=mg−pgV+0.5pACv$$

I then converted this to a differential equation in terms of displacement:

$$x′′(t)=mg−pgV(t)+0.5pACx′(t)$$

Finally, I carried out a Laplace tranform, assuming 0 initial conditions:

$$s^2X(S) = \frac{mg}{s} - pgV(S) + 0.5pACsX(S)$$

The input to my system is the V(S) term and the output is X(s). I need them as a ratio as X(S) / V(S) to derive the transfer function.

Due to the constant term mg/s, I am unable to separate the variables and obtain the transfer function.

I have looked into State Space Equations which may be a better alternative but I am not familiar with this.

Can anyone offer any advice or spot any errors with my workings?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I am no expert in fluid mechanics, but here is what I understood from your description:
You wrote the force-balance equation for a body sinking in a fluid. Its net velocity is downward, and the forces acting on it are buoyancy, drag and gravity. Is that right?

Last edited:
Likes BlueTempus
Hi cnh1995,

Yes this is correct. I used the force due to gravity as the reference so 'negative is up'.

I have been thinking about this all day and the conclusion I have come to is there is no way to rearrange this into a transfer function form of output / input so I think the only way is to model it numerically, then try to approximate a linear transfer function for which I can design a controller.

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes how a variable changes over time, based on its current value and the rate at which it is changing.

2. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It is commonly used in control theory to analyze and design systems.

3. How are ODEs and transfer functions related?

ODEs and transfer functions are closely related, as the transfer function is derived from the ODE of a system. The transfer function is the Laplace transform of the ODE, which allows for easier analysis and manipulation of the system.

4. What is the purpose of ODE -> transfer function assistance?

The purpose of ODE -> transfer function assistance is to aid in the process of converting a given ODE into its corresponding transfer function. This can be a complex and time-consuming task, so having assistance can save time and reduce errors.

5. How can ODE -> transfer function assistance be used in scientific research?

ODE -> transfer function assistance can be used in scientific research to model and analyze systems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and biology. It can also be used to design and optimize control systems for various applications.