Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Official version of Big Bang 2008

1. Apr 25, 2008 #1

Where is the official version of the Big Bang?
    There are new discovery all the time.
    Is there a "board of experts" that puts out the official version?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2008 #2
    I think up to a certain timescale most scientists will agree on the timeline of events. Below this timescale, nothing's certain. Cosmology is an unusual discipline, there's only one universe in which to observe. The methodology of scientific process is not applicable when you can't repeat experiment, so theory is the only way to progress (You can't reproduce the conditions from the Big Bang!)

And as we all know, theory is entirely subjective without experimental proof.
  4. Apr 25, 2008 #3
    now there is certainly some truth in this, but on the other hand: they can try to get some predictions out of their theories and then look whether this predictions match observations. like they did with COBE, they predictet that there would be some (tiny) variations in the CBR, and after looking hard enough, they found some. so at least in this case the scientific process was working well enough.
  5. Apr 25, 2008 #4
    Very true, but you can't say unequivocally that the deviations in the likes of COBE and WMAP are due to some primordial fireball at the beginning of time. You can only say that it's very very likely..
  6. Apr 25, 2008 #5

I’m gathering that there are so many possible modifications to the presently taught model that nobody wants to venture and propose an improvement.
    What about the experiments with quark-gluon plasma, CGC (Color Glass Condensate) and solid hydrogen?
  7. Apr 27, 2008 #6

Science Advisor

Science doesn't work like this Jal. There are lots of papers on Cosmology coming out all the time with all sorts of new ideas, new observations, new theories and new tweaks to old theories. But there isn't an ordained group somewhere who decides what is 'official', eventually the ideas that stand up to scrutiny the best become more and more accepted and become a consensus view, but consensus is always shaky and can be changed quickly with new evidence.
  8. Apr 27, 2008 #7

D H

Staff: Mentor

You are misrepresenting the scientific method here. We certainly cannot recreate the big bang. We also cannot recreate the evolution of species, or the exact events that led to the formation and development of the Earth, or Julius Caeser. Moreover, we were not present when the universe first formed, when the Earth took shape, when dinosaurs roamed the Earth, when the first hominid first walked upright, or when Caeser ruled Rome. This does not mean essentially historical sciences such as evolutionary biology, archeology, geology, and cosmology are not science or do not use the scientific method.
  9. May 1, 2008 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As Wallace has said, there is no committee that decides which theory is the standard. Cosmology is constantly changing as more evidence is obtained. If your actual question is "what is the standard model of Cosmology today?"; i.e. what are the details of the model that best fits the observational data today, then this is a valid question. However, it can easily be answered by picking up a good Cosmology textbook, or reading papers, or posts on these forums.

I can't see this topic going anywhere useful, so I'm closing it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?