-OH when used as -I effect and +I effect?

• Thread starter Indranil
  • Start date
In summary, the -I effect, also known as the inductive effect, involves the withdrawal of electron density from neighboring atoms through a sigma bond. In the case of -OH, the oxygen atom has a higher electronegativity than the hydrogen atom, causing it to pull electron density towards itself and create a partial negative charge. This can affect the reactivity and chemical properties of the molecule, as well as the strength of bonds between atoms. The -I effect of -OH can also make a molecule more acidic by pulling electron density away from the hydrogen atom, making it easier for the hydrogen to dissociate and form a positive charge. However, the strength and influence of the -I effect can be affected by other factors such as the
Indranil

Homework Statement

Is -OH used both -I effect and +I effect? When used it -I effect and +I effect?

Homework Equations

Is -OH used both -I effect and +I effect? When used it -I effect and +I effect?

The Attempt at a Solution

I only know that -OH used as -I affect because 'O' is more electronegative.

Physics news on Phys.org
Indranil said:
I only know that -OH used as -I affect because 'O' is more electronegative.
In what systems do you know this to be true?

Edit: here's a big hint: think about resonance.

1. What is the meaning of -OH as a -I effect?

The -I effect, also known as the inductive effect, is a type of electronic effect in which atoms or groups of atoms pull electrons away from a neighboring atom through a sigma bond. In the case of -OH, the oxygen atom has a higher electronegativity than the hydrogen atom, causing it to pull electron density towards itself and creating a partial negative charge on the oxygen atom.

2. How does -OH function as a -I effect in a molecule?

In a molecule, the -I effect of -OH can lead to a decrease in electron density around the oxygen atom and a corresponding increase in electron density around the other atoms in the molecule. This can affect the reactivity and chemical properties of the molecule as a whole, as well as the strength of bonds between atoms.

3. What is the difference between -I effect and +I effect in terms of -OH?

The -I effect of -OH involves the withdrawal of electron density from neighboring atoms, while the +I effect involves the donation of electron density to neighboring atoms. In the case of -OH, the oxygen atom has a higher electronegativity than the hydrogen atom, leading to a -I effect. However, in certain cases, the hydrogen atom can have a +I effect due to its ability to donate its lone pair of electrons.

4. How does the -I effect of -OH affect the acidity of a molecule?

The -I effect of -OH can make a molecule more acidic by pulling electron density away from the hydrogen atom, making it easier for the hydrogen to dissociate and form a positive charge. This is why molecules containing -OH groups, such as carboxylic acids, are more acidic than those without.

5. Can the -I effect of -OH be influenced by other factors?

Yes, the -I effect of -OH can be influenced by other factors such as the electron-withdrawing or electron-donating nature of other atoms or groups in the molecule, as well as the distance between the -OH group and the atom being affected. Additionally, the strength of the -I effect can also be affected by the overall electronic structure and stability of the molecule.