OK, guys which of these have you used?

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, the worst men's grooming trends of all time include strapping 20 micrograms of radium to your genitals for increased sexual energy and using Macassar oil, which led to the creation of the antimacassar. Other questionable trends include using Vitalis Hair Tonic and Rose Hair Oil, as well as exposing oneself to radiation through shoe fitting X-ray machines. These examples serve as a reminder to approach new technologies and trends with caution.
Physics news on Phys.org
How did they come up with the figure of 20 µg? :uhh:

Testone radium energizer

When: 1910s

Proof that we should take the application of new technologies slowly: People once thought strapping 20 micrograms of refined, measured radium to your balls would increase sexual energy.

Article said:
Macassar oil

When: 1830s-1920s

Today, "Mac *******" is used to refer to people obsessed with their Apple computers. One hundred-fifty years ago, we presume it was used to describe men who styled their hair with Macassar oil, the first conditioning/styling product for men's hair. This is so because while it kept hair healthy and shiny, it also left stains on upholstery, leading to the creation of the antimacassar -- a small cloth used to prevent your oily head from imprinting itself on the sofa.

I don't think it is the same thing but this made me think of one of my all time favorite movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hni4OIJXG4

I remember old radio commercials for Vitalis and Mum. I tried Vitalis, it was OK but I stuck with my favorite Rose Hair Oil. At fifteen years old I still didn't know what "Mum" a deodorant was.

Vitalis Hair Tonic is still around, Rose Hair Oil was the ultimate "greasy kid stuff".

I found a link to Rose Hair Oil. It is on an antiques and collectables site.:cry:

http://www.gonecountryantiques.com/item/Mid-C-Society-Rose-Hair-Oil-Barber-Bottle

As for exposure to radiation I used to love to go to JC Penny's and look at my feet in their shoe fitting X ray machine.

Last edited by a moderator:

As a scientist, my focus is on conducting research and analyzing data to answer questions and solve problems. While I am familiar with the topic of grooming trends, it is not within my area of expertise. I believe it would be more appropriate for a fashion or beauty expert to provide a response to this question.

1. What is the purpose of asking which of these have you used?

The purpose of asking which of these have you used is to gather information and feedback from a group of individuals. This information can then be used for research or to make decisions about a particular topic or product.

2. How do you define "these" in the question?

The word "these" in the question refers to a specific set of options or choices that are presented to the group. It could be anything from a list of products, services, or even ideas.

3. Is this question asking for personal experiences?

Yes, this question is asking for personal experiences. By asking which of these have you used, the question is seeking responses based on the individual's own personal use or knowledge.

4. Can the question be interpreted as biased?

The question itself is not biased, but the way it is asked or the options presented may lead to biased responses. It is important for the question to be worded in a neutral manner and for the options to be presented in a fair and balanced way to avoid bias.

5. How can the information gathered from this question be used?

The information gathered from this question can be used for research purposes, to make informed decisions, or to gather feedback and improve a product or service. It can also be used to understand the preferences and experiences of a particular group of individuals.