OK, guys which of these have you used?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Physics news on Phys.org
How did they come up with the figure of 20 µg? :rolleyes:

Testone radium energizer

When: 1910s

Proof that we should take the application of new technologies slowly: People once thought strapping 20 micrograms of refined, measured radium to your balls would increase sexual energy.
 
Article said:
Macassar oil

When: 1830s-1920s

Today, "Mac *******" is used to refer to people obsessed with their Apple computers. One hundred-fifty years ago, we presume it was used to describe men who styled their hair with Macassar oil, the first conditioning/styling product for men's hair. This is so because while it kept hair healthy and shiny, it also left stains on upholstery, leading to the creation of the antimacassar -- a small cloth used to prevent your oily head from imprinting itself on the sofa.

I don't think it is the same thing but this made me think of one of my all time favorite movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hni4OIJXG4
 
I remember old radio commercials for Vitalis and Mum. I tried Vitalis, it was OK but I stuck with my favorite Rose Hair Oil. At fifteen years old I still didn't know what "Mum" a deodorant was.

Vitalis Hair Tonic is still around, Rose Hair Oil was the ultimate "greasy kid stuff".




I found a link to Rose Hair Oil. It is on an antiques and collectables site.:cry:

http://www.gonecountryantiques.com/item/Mid-C-Society-Rose-Hair-Oil-Barber-Bottle


As for exposure to radiation I used to love to go to JC Penny's and look at my feet in their shoe fitting X ray machine.
 
Last edited by a moderator: