Okay, you did good on books. how about scary movies?

In summary: However, I concur with your statement. Usually, it's a razor's edge. If it doesn't work for you then the house of cards falls apart and all you see are the...flaws.
tribdog
Im in the mood for a scary movie. so far it looks like I am watching poltergeist. Any suggestions? I want really scary

Physics news on Phys.org

The first time I saw Alien was in a theater.

I was so petrified, my heart was pounding.
I wanted to walk out but could not move.

Nothing I have seen before or since equaled
that horrific experience.

Blair Witch Project was just moderately scary, up until the last scene - it was terrifying! But to understand that scene, you have to carefully watch the whole movie.

Yeah. Alien.

And John Carpenter's The Thing.

lisab said:
Blair Witch Project was just moderately scary, up until the last scene - it was terrifying! But to understand that scene, you have to carefully watch the whole movie.

Really? There was something to understand? I'm all ears.

Seriously. It was quite disturbing, but I didn't get it.

DaveC426913 said:
Really? There was something to understand? I'm all ears.

Seriously. It was quite disturbing, but I didn't get it.

In one of the earliest scenes, they were interviewing the townspeople. One of them said the witch always killed in twos. But he made one stand facing the wall as he killed the other one "because he didn't like to be watched as he worked" (or something like that). In the last scene, she was looking for her friend, and she came upon him in the basement facing the wall and that's when her camera fell : !11

I hate Hate HATE scary movies. I heard the Poltergest was scary, though.

Interesting that people love to be scared, phobiaphilia?

The Shining is fricking scary! I have heard that Shutter (2004 version) is also scary but am too scared to check it out myself. If you are looking for gross-out/disturbing then Ichi the killer is right for you.

There already was a thread on this subject, but it is locked.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=234569"
Here is my post in that thread:
Jimmy Snyder said:
Psycho. My father took me to see it when I was ten. I was scarred for life. What was he thinking? The shower scene gets a lot of play, but the one that scared me most was when the guy got stabbed at the top of the stairs.

Here's a bit of family history that gets retold from time to time. We went to to see a movie and my 4 year old sister was so scared that she hid under the seat. It was Bambi.

Last edited by a moderator:
paranormal activity. if you've had demons toss you around the effect is multiplied.

Alien, Psycho, the original version of The Haunting.

Alien. Definitely.

Perfect example you can be scared to death without even seeing what is so scary.

A movie is just a movie, entertainment, shouldn't get you scared at all. TBH, half of the fun watching a good horror movie is watching it with others and looking at their faces.

The ring was a very scary movie. I could never watch television normally after that...

micromass said:
The ring was a very scary movie. I could never watch television normally after that...

yeah some times i get freaked out when i wash my hair and touch my other hand.

Darken-Sol said:
yeah some times i get freaked out when i wash my hair and touch my other hand.

The follow my advice, don't ever look in a mirror :wink:

micromass said:

Go to bathroom, look in the mirror and say "Candyman" 3 times. He will so come ...

lol I am too scared to watch the ring and the grudge- I watched scary movie 4 and got so freaked out I screamed in the cinema! I get scared of myself when I have my hair wet in front of my face...

lisab said:
I hated that movie. When it came out, my friend thought it would be cool to tell me that the story behind the film was true, in other words, it really was footage found in the woods, which sounded awesome. When I went to see it, not being a moron, i realized this was obviously not true (amongst other things, no one would hold a camera like they did if they were running in terror.) I was completely underwhelmed and disappointed. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if my friend hadn't spent the night talking about how awesome it was.

DaveC426913 said:
Thought it was dreadful.

Horror movies are like that. What some people find scary and cool others find ridiculous and stupid.

The closest thing I can think of to a "universally respected" horror movie is probably The Shining.

Galteeth said:
Horror movies are like that. What some people find scary and cool others find ridiculous and stupid.
Well, not a lot of people found Alien ridiculous or stupid.

However, I concur with your statement. Usually, it's a razor's edge. If it doesn't work for you then the house of cards falls apart and all you see are the flaws.

DaveC426913 said:
Well, not a lot of people found Alien ridiculous or stupid.

However, I concur with your statement. Usually, it's a razor's edge. If it doesn't work for you then the house of cards falls apart and all you see are the flaws.

Even though Alien is about an alien, it is a type of the "stalker killer" horror genre. These are the kinds of movies where there is a specific killer (usually human) and the suspense and scares come from when the killer is going to strike. For some reason, these types of movies don't scare me or do anything for me. Other people love them, and get bored by "creepy atmosphere" types of horror which depend more on being disturbing by showing the uncanny.

Paranormal Activity and Blair Witch so far are some of the few films that gave me any suspense or shock. I'm a bit too desensitized to gore to be affected much.

The Saw series seem to be good though, I haven't seen all of them, but the ones I have were good.

The Collector comes to mind as well.

"Ghost Story" staring Fred Astaire, Douglas Fairbanks Jr, John Houseman and Melvyn Douglas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6oy7Pfh-gY&feature

FrancisZ said:
"Ghost Story" staring Fred Astaire, Douglas Fairbanks Jr, John Houseman and Melvyn Douglas...
Yeah, that was good. But I was younger.

1. What makes a scary movie truly scary?

A scary movie is usually considered scary due to its ability to evoke fear, suspense, and a sense of dread in the audience. This can be achieved through a combination of factors such as the plot, characters, setting, and use of sound and visual effects.

2. Are there certain elements that are essential for a good scary movie?

While there is no formula for a perfect scary movie, some common elements that are often present in successful ones include a well-developed plot, relatable characters, a creepy setting, and effective use of suspense and jump scares.

3. Are there any psychological effects of watching scary movies?

Yes, watching scary movies can have both short-term and long-term psychological effects on individuals. In the short-term, it can cause increased heart rate, adrenaline rush, and feelings of fear and anxiety. In the long-term, it can desensitize individuals to violence and make them more prone to experiencing nightmares and anxiety disorders.

4. Why do some people enjoy watching scary movies?

There are several reasons why people may enjoy watching scary movies. For some, it can be a way to experience fear in a controlled and safe environment. Others may enjoy the adrenaline rush and excitement that comes with being scared. Additionally, some people may find the themes and messages in scary movies thought-provoking and intriguing.

5. Can scary movies have a positive impact on viewers?

While the primary purpose of scary movies is to scare and entertain viewers, they can also have a positive impact on individuals. They can serve as a form of catharsis, allowing individuals to release their own fears and anxieties. Additionally, they can also provide a sense of relief and empowerment when the protagonist overcomes the scary situation.