1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Old guy going 'back to the future'

1. May 10, 2012 #1
    Here is my situation: I am currently a physician now for the last 20 years. I'm 51. I have a B.A. in Astronomy which is my passion. I want to go back to graduate studies in physics/astronomy. I tested this out several years back and took a graduate astronomy course at our local university. I was passing the course but realized that this is something I cannot do part time. So my plan is to review the physics and math over the next couple of years and then take the GRE physics subject test. Suppose I kill that test and do extremely well on it. Is there any chance a program would take me seriously? Have any of you had any classmates like myself? I would be very interested to know what you think.

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2012 #2
    I've seen some old guys in grad programs, and if you demonstrate you can do it they might take you.

But they'll be suspicious of your ability to excel in the coursework, and rightly so. The grad classes I took were orders of magnitude harder than anything I ever saw as an undergrad. The GRE physics may not be enough to convince them otherwise. Excelling in a few undergrad courses could convince them, or offering to sit for one or more qualifying exams.

I'm assuming that you're essentially retiring, have no dependents and are financially secure. Otherwise giving up a job as a medical professional (especially after all the investment that's required to be one) would be a real tragedy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook