Mediocre, But Passionate Physics Student--Jobs in General Relativity?

Astrophycisist1
I'm a mediocre physics student (at best) at an Ivy League institution, and I'm passionate about general relativity. My dream is simply to do research in the field, even though I will never be a superstar or pioneer. Finally, I'm planning to complete a Master's in astrophysics or physics (likely at a 2nd or 3rd-tier institution). I need some brutal honesty...Is there any chance of my working as a researcher in this field or should I just go another route. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What did your professors say?

Likes Haborix
As with all invocations of passion, I want to know how that passion has actually manifested in the past and in the present. In other words, what could you point to that would suggest to a person you were passionate about GR? I ask this because if you'd already immersed yourself in research and projects, I'd be much more comfortable saying go for it. You can always pivot to something else if you don't move past grad school or a post doc. However, if you have done no actual work related to GR, then I am much more skeptical of the whole situation.

You should absolutely ask your professors, if you haven't. I asked my mentor in undergrad a similar question and received some good advice.