(old?) spectroscopy analysis notation

In summary, the conversation is about a person studying spectroscopy in organic molecules and coming across an old data table from 1934 for octane. The person is unable to understand the notation used in the table and is seeking assistance in learning more about it. They also receive a suggestion to use Latex for writing equations.
Aroldo
Hello,

I've been studying spectroscopy in organic molecule and I came across an old data from 1934.

280(5b)(k,i±e), 297(1vd)(e), 354(1vd)(k,e),
378(1vd)(k,e), 398(Ovd) (e), 426(1vd)(k,e),
766(Ovd) (k,e), 807 (Od) (k,e), 817 (lb) (k,e),
842(1vd)(k,e), 862(2)(k,e), 878(3)(k,e),

This is a piece of the table for Octane. You can find it on the article: The Journal of Chemical Physics 9, 295 (1941); doi: 10.1063/1.1750899.

I couldn't identify this notation, and I am stuck on it.
Do you know where I can learn about this notation?

Thank you.

Why don't you try using Latex for writing equations?

Thanks for your replay.

This is not an equation. This is a table from the cited article, which I have no ideia what it is about.

1. What is spectroscopy analysis notation?

Spectroscopy analysis notation is a system of symbols and notation used to represent and communicate information about the properties of a substance or sample based on its spectroscopic data. This includes information about the chemical composition, structure, and properties of the sample.

2. How is spectroscopy analysis notation used in scientific research?

Spectroscopy analysis notation is used in various fields of scientific research, including chemistry, physics, biology, and materials science. It is particularly useful in identifying and characterizing unknown substances or materials, studying chemical reactions, and determining molecular structures.

3. What are the main components of spectroscopy analysis notation?

The main components of spectroscopy analysis notation include letters, numbers, and symbols that represent different properties of a substance. These can include elemental symbols, atomic and molecular weights, energy levels, and spectral peaks.

4. Are there different types of spectroscopy analysis notation?

Yes, there are different types of spectroscopy analysis notation depending on the type of spectroscopy being used. For example, infrared spectroscopy notation uses wavenumbers to represent the frequency of light absorbed by a sample, while nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy uses chemical shift values to indicate the relative position of a peak on a spectrum.

5. Why is spectroscopy analysis notation important in scientific research?

Spectroscopy analysis notation is important because it allows scientists to accurately and efficiently communicate information about a substance's properties. This enables collaboration and reproducibility in research, and helps to advance our understanding of the physical and chemical world.

Back