Olympic Opening Parade of Nations

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
In summary: I wouldn't say it's disturbing, but it's something unusual to us. I guess people who live in more homogenized countries would look...less "unusual."
tribdog
You know what I noticed most about the parade of all the different nations at the olympics? The lack of racial diversity in most countries. It was almost disturbing for some reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
America is actually pretty unique in that regard. You look at places like Eastern Europe or Scandinavia or Africa... most people who live there didn't move there, they were born there. Most people have no reason to go there.

Why would that be disturbing? :confused: (not all countries are melting pots)

Monique said:
Why would that be disturbing? :confused:

I'm not sure why it bothers me. I suppose it just shows that people aren't moving much, but I just felt like it separated nations too much. Maybe I'm just in one of my hippie moods. I'd rather see the world mix it up a little bit more.

tribdog said:
I'm not sure why it bothers me. I suppose it just shows that people aren't moving much, but I just felt like it separated nations too much. Maybe I'm just in one of my hippie moods. I'd rather see the world mix it up a little bit more.
Wouldn't it be terribly boring if everyone and everything would be the same everywhere? All the riches we have with the different world-cultures! :biggrin:

The 13 original US colonies were formed only 232 years ago. Every single person which is currently in the United States can only go back, at most, eight generations before someone in their family came from another country.

Compare that to China which goes far back as 137 generations. (going by the earliest dynasty)

Hey I didn't say i was right. I just said how it felt.

tribdog said:
Hey I didn't say i was right. I just said how it felt.

No worry, I wasn't accusing you of anything. Just gave an example to show how (relatively) new the US is.

B. Elliott said:
The 13 original US colonies were formed only 232 years ago. Every single person which is currently in the United States can only go back, at most, eight generations before someone in their family came from another country.

Indians?

rootX said:
Indians?

I thought someone would pick up on that. I didn't consider them since there wasn't a country here when they occupied North America.

*edit* That's also why in my example with China, I only went as far back as the earliest dynasty when there's actually been people occupying the area for well over 300,000 years.

Last edited:
B. Elliott said:
I thought someone would pick up on that. I didn't consider them since there wasn't a country here when they occupied North America.

*edit* That's also why in my example with China, I only went as far back as the earliest dynasty when there's actually been people occupying the area for well over 300,000 years.

You are right but it's just little disturbing - bunch of strangers coming to our and taking it away from us (it feels too unfair)... Personally, I find it really sad when we forget the original owners of NA.

But, it happened everywhere.

They're not forgotten, it's just that US Americans with even just a hint of native American blood, represent only 1% of the US population. My mothers side of the family has Cherokee blood, but it's so thin that I don't feel as though it's pertinent.

Also can't forget that all Native Americans (and those in South America) originally came from Asia. That's where you start to get to a point where you begin to trace everything back to the middle east, then Africa.

We're all really Africans!

I agree. I'd like to see more Chimpazees and Bonobos.

They'd kick butt on the uneven parallel bars

And apparently, football. Wait, that was gorillas.

WarPhalange said:
America is actually pretty unique in that regard. You look at places like Eastern Europe or Scandinavia or Africa... most people who live there didn't move there, they were born there.
That's true, the histories are completely different.

Most people have no reason to go there.
Well, given any single country I guess most people have no reason to go there either. But don't mix up imigration with racial diversity. Actually quite many people have a reason to go to e.g. Sweden. In total about 1,2 million (first generation) imigrants out of a population of 9 million. Most of them (~700000) are from other European countries and usually don't look very "unswedish" though.

Jordan Joab said:
I agree. I'd like to see more Chimpazees and Bonobos.

tribdog said:
They'd kick butt on the uneven parallel bars

:rofl:

Monique said:
Wouldn't it be terribly boring if everyone and everything would be the same everywhere? All the riches we have with the different world-cultures! :biggrin:

Very true - vive la difference!

But, to the typical American eye, it is odd to look at a group of people from country "X" and have them look all the same...that looks more like a family reunion to us.

I wouldn't say it's disturbing, but it's something unusual to us. I guess people who live in more homogenized countries would look at the American group and think, whoa, what a much of mongrels.

WarPhalange said:
America is actually pretty unique in that regard.

You can say that again! Not many countries would deliberately try to provoke the Chinese by making a Sudanese refugee with little athletic ability (unlike Carl Lewis or Edwin Moses) their flag-bearer! With that in mind is it any surprise that...
... A knife-wielding Chinese man has stabbed to death the father-in-law of the U.S. Olympic men's volleyball coach at a popular tourist site in Beijing.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lative-stabbed-death-Chinese-man-Beijing.html

fourier jr said:
Not many countries would deliberately try to provoke the Chinese by making a Sudanese refugee with little athletic ability (unlike Carl Lewis or Edwin Moses) their flag-bearer!

Well done US!

I missed the 'opening'---I hope they do a rerun---some have already touted it as 'something comparable won't be seen again' due to the complexity and grand scale.

B. Elliott said:
There wasn't a "country" here. :tongue2:

Those Indians could tread water like it was nobody's business

tribdog said:
Those Indians could tread water like it was nobody's business
That's what I was thinking, poor guys. :biggrin:

Seriously, am I the ONLY one on this forum that notices that the smilies keep moving?

Evo said:
Seriously, am I the ONLY one on this forum that notices that the smilies keep moving?

I remember rolling eye was at the top (that's why I used it three -four times) but now it is replaced by :frown: (and I don't like this color)

I keep thinking for as often as they (the smilies) are used, why aren't they on the 'quick reply' area? (and maybe spellcheck, too)

I think that the U.S. team should be made up entirely of native americans. You should only be aloud to play on a National team if you are at least half native.

rewebster said:
I missed the 'opening'---I hope they do a rerun---some have already touted it as 'something comparable won't be seen again' due to the complexity and grand scale.

Yeah, it was pretty impressive that is for sure. The scale was huge, it makes you think wow, they made a great wall once a long time ago, but they still got it.

Last edited by a moderator:
rootX said:
Indians?
I always roll my eyes at the American white-supremacists that you sometimes see on television "they're taking over our race, they should go back where they came from", .. yeah, following the same logic so should you :rolleyes:

Maybe in a thousand years we will be mixed enough to be considered a race of Americans, then we can start being racist against other whole countries together, and we can refer to the Naive Americans as an extinct distant ancestor.

When you think about why there are many of African descent in the U.S., the lack of diversity in other nations is not so disturbing after all.

1. What is the significance of the Olympic Opening Parade of Nations?

The Olympic Opening Parade of Nations is a traditional ceremony that marks the official start of the Olympic Games. It is a symbolic representation of the unity and diversity of the participating countries and athletes.

2. How are the countries and athletes chosen for the parade?

The countries and athletes are chosen based on their participation in the Olympic Games. Each participating country is allowed to send a delegation of athletes to represent them in the parade.

3. How are the countries and athletes organized in the parade?

The countries and athletes are organized in alphabetical order according to the language of the host country. The exception is the host country, which always enters last and is announced as the host nation.

4. What is the significance of the flag bearers in the parade?

The flag bearers are chosen to represent their country and lead their delegation in the parade. They are often well-known athletes or representatives of their country and carry their national flag with pride.

5. How long does the Olympic Opening Parade of Nations typically last?

The parade usually lasts around 1-2 hours, depending on the number of participating countries. However, the length of the parade may vary depending on the host country's cultural performances and other ceremonial events.