On-Axis Field of a Uniformly Magnetized Sphere

In summary, the person tried to find the on-axis field by directly integrating the biot savart instead of finding the vector potential and taking the curl. However, they encountered an elliptic integral which was different from what was found in Griffiths' book. They asked for help in finding the error in their working and later found that their last line should have had ## \sin^3{\theta} ## instead of ## \sin^4{\theta} ##. They also suggested using integration by parts and found that the only error could be the incorrect power of ##\sin{\theta}##.
Luke Tan
Homework Statement
Find the magnetic field of a sphere along the axis of magnetization
Relevant Equations
$$\vec{B}=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\int\frac{\vec{K}\times\hat{r}}{|\vec{r}|^2}da$$
$$\vec{K}=\vec{M}\times\hat{n}$$
Since I am only required to find the on-axis field, I tried directly integrating the biot savart to find the field, rather than integrating to find the vector potential before taking the curl.
20191126_142106.jpg

However, on integration (by mathematica) it seems that the solution is an elliptic integral, very different from what griffiths has found in his book. Can someone find the issue in my working? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I found one error on the left side. You got a little sloppy with your diagram. ## x \neq R \cos{\theta} ##. ## \ ## Edit: Scratch that. I need to study this more...## \\ ## I think your last line should have ## \sin^3{\theta} ##, instead of ## \sin^4{\theta} ##.## \\ ## Writing ##\sin^3{\theta} \, d \theta=(1-cos^2{\theta}) \, d(\cos{\theta})=(1-u^2) \, du ##,## \\ ## I think you will find the ## u^2/(denominator) ## can be integrated by parts. ## \\ ## Doing it slightly differently, I also got a ## \sin^3{\theta} ## instead of ## \sin^4{\theta} ##. That may be your only error.

Last edited:

1. What is the "on-axis field" of a uniformly magnetized sphere?

The on-axis field of a uniformly magnetized sphere refers to the magnetic field strength at a point that lies directly on the axis passing through the center of the sphere. This field is a measure of the strength and direction of the magnetic field produced by the sphere.

2. How is the on-axis field of a uniformly magnetized sphere calculated?

The on-axis field of a uniformly magnetized sphere can be calculated using the equation B = μ₀M/3, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, and M is the magnetization of the sphere. This equation applies for points that lie outside the sphere.

3. Does the on-axis field of a uniformly magnetized sphere vary with distance?

Yes, the on-axis field of a uniformly magnetized sphere varies with distance. As the distance from the center of the sphere increases, the strength of the magnetic field decreases. This decrease follows an inverse square law, meaning that the field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the center of the sphere.

4. How does the on-axis field of a uniformly magnetized sphere differ from the field at other points?

The on-axis field of a uniformly magnetized sphere is different from the field at other points because it is measured at a point directly on the axis passing through the center of the sphere. At other points, the field is influenced by both the magnetization of the sphere and the position of the point relative to the sphere.

5. Can the on-axis field of a uniformly magnetized sphere be affected by external magnetic fields?

Yes, the on-axis field of a uniformly magnetized sphere can be affected by external magnetic fields. If an external magnetic field is present, it can influence the direction and strength of the on-axis field of the sphere. This is known as magnetic induction and is commonly seen in applications such as electromagnets and MRI machines.