Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On differentiability on endpoints of an open interval

1. Sep 5, 2014 #1
    Before asking a question I would first like to mention the definitions of limit of function and differentiality at x=p

1) Limit of function (f) at x=p
    Let E be domain of f and p be a limit point of E. Let Y be the range of f.

If there exists q∈E such that for all ε>0 there exists δ>0 such that for all x∈E for which d(x,p)<δ implies d(f(x),q)<ε. Then we say that f(x)->q as x->p or lim(x->p) f(x)=q

2) Differentiable at x=p (a ≤ x ≤ b)
    Let E=[a,b] be domain of f. Let Y be the range of f.

If there exists limit of lim(x->p) s(x) (s(x)=[f(x)-f(p)]/[x-p] , where a< x < b), then f is differentiable at x=p.

Sorry for the long definition! This is my question.

Let E=(a,b) be deomain of f. Let Y be the range of f. Isn't it differentiable at x=a?

As you can see in the picture, we can find a limit 'q' of all ε>0 there exists δ>0 such that for all x∈E for which d(x,p)<δ implies d(f(x),q)<ε. Thus lim(x->a) s(x)=q (by definition 1) )

Please do ask me if anything's unclear!

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      3.4 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If we "Let E=(a,b) be domain of f" then f is not even defined at x= a or x= b so certainly not differentiable!

4. Sep 5, 2014 #3
    but look how differentiability at x=p is defined : lim(x->p) s(x)
    and this is why i have written definition of limit of function
    because there is a close relationship between them

let's look at an example
    f(x)=x^2 where domain(E) is E=(0,1) ∪ (1,2) and E⊂R (real number, metric space)
    because 1∉E, does this mean lim(x->1) f(x) does not exist?
    In fact it does exist, which is 1!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  5. Sep 5, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In your first post, you defined s(x)= (f(x)- f(p))/(x- p). If f(p) is not defined, then neither is s(x) for any x.

6. Sep 5, 2014 #5
    i still don't get it
    by my example, like you said at x=1 it is not defined but there is still a limit value lim(x->1)f(x)
    likewise, at x=a it is not defined but there can be a limit value, which is lim(x->a)s(x)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  7. Sep 5, 2014 #6

statdad

Homework Helper

Having a limit value at a point does not mean it is defined at that point. Your difference quotient would be
    [tex]
    \dfrac{f(x) - f(1)}{x-1}
    [/tex]

If [itex] f(1) [/itex] is not defined, this quotient is not defined.

8. Sep 5, 2014 #7
    E=(0,1) union (1,2)
    f is a function from E to R
    s is a function from E to R

f(x)=x^2
    s(x)=[f(x)-f(1)]/[x-1]

hmm then why is there a difference between existence of limit between these two even though f(x) or s(x) is not defined at x=1?
    lim(x->1) f(x)=1 (exists)
    lim(x->1) s(x) ? (doesn't exist?)

9. Sep 5, 2014 #8

statdad

Homework Helper

The limit for s does not exist because f(1) is not defined, so there is no number to use in that spot in the numerator.
    It is true that your f does not have to be defined at x=1 to have a limit there, because the limit depends only on values of x that are 'close to, but not equal to' 1.
    Your fraction doesn't have that property: it requires a value be known for f(1): since f is not defined there it doesn't have a value, so s is not defined.
    You can't confuse a limit value with a function value, which is what you're doing.

10. Sep 5, 2014 #9
    thanks a bunch :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook