On the equivalence of operator vs path integral in QFT

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of a precise relation between the canonical and path integral formulations of quantum field theory (QFT) and the reasons for this lack. The conversation also mentions the work of Dirac and Osterwalder-Schrader in this area, as well as the difficulty in generalizing from quantum mechanics to QFT. It is suggested that the individual should continue reading textbooks to gain a better understanding of the subject.
ftr
I have read many textbooks and googled google times for a clear explanation, but I could not find one. How does raising and lowering -annihilation/ creation-(is that energy or particle number?) translate to transition probabilities of path integral.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bumping up an old thread with no answers, may this time.

ftr said:
How does raising and lowering -annihilation/ creation-(is that energy or particle number?) translate to transition probabilities of path integral.

This question is too vague. Can you find a specific reference that has a specific example that illustrates the issue?

PeterDonis said:
This question is too vague. Can you find a specific reference that has a specific example that illustrates the issue?
Well, I am reading this book
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201360799/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Quote from the discription
"The book is unique in that it develops all three representations of quantum field theory (operator, functional Schrödinger, and path integral) for point particles and strings. In many cases, identical results are worked out in each representation to emphasize the representation-independent structures of quantum field theory"

Yet I don't see in this book or any other place deriving(showing) the relation between these representations, they only tell you "the results come out to be the same".
It sound very strange for me that the physicists write exuberant amounts of paper piles, yet they don't deal with fundamentals like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
ftr said:
I don't see in this book or any other place deriving(showing) the relation between these representations, they only tell you "the results come out to be the same".

Could that be because getting the same results is the only relation between the representations?

PeterDonis said:
Could that be because getting the same results is the only relation between the representations?

I expect that the relation should be a form similar to a post I made

For anybody who is interested in the subject of "Matrix Mechanics" I recommend this book "heisenberg's quantum mechanics "

http://www.worldscientific.com/worldscibooks/10.1142/7702

which includes the derivation of the commutation and the equivalency between the Schrodinger and Heisenberg pictures in the free three first chapters.

ftr said:
includes the derivation of the commutation and the equivalency between the Schrodinger and Heisenberg pictures

So in other words, you're looking for a proof of the equivalence of the canonical and path integral formulations of QFT, similar to the proof of the equivalence between the Schrodinger and Heisenberg formulations of ordinary QM?

ftr said:
physicists write exuberant amounts of paper piles, yet they don't deal with fundamentals like that.
The main reason is that the precise relations are not known, or known only in toy cases, being generalized intuitively from the case of ordinary quantum mechanics (1+0-dimensional field theory). In the latter case, you can read about the precise relation with mathematical rigor for example in the first chapter of the book by Glimm and Jaffe.

The second reason is that practical theoretical physicists judge techniques by their results and don't need the fundamentals if they get more complicated than the calculations they need to do. Publication pressure then sweeps all these fundamentally desirable but intellectually frustrating under the carpet...

ftr said:
Well, I am reading this book
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201360799/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Quote from the discription
"The book is unique in that it develops all three representations of quantum field theory (operator, functional Schrödinger, and path integral) for point particles and strings. In many cases, identical results are worked out in each representation to emphasize the representation-independent structures of quantum field theory"

Yet I don't see in this book or any other place deriving(showing) the relation between these representations, they only tell you "the results come out to be the same".
It sound very strange for me that the physicists write exuberant amounts of paper piles, yet they don't deal with fundamentals like that.
Then you've simply not looked at the right place. Dirac's original work on QT answered this question, and it's of course marvelously worked out in his famous textbook. I've also trouble to find any modern textbook that doesn't give these connections.

Take the representation-free formulation (Dirac's bra-ket formalism) and use either the position representation to get wave mechanics or the harmonic-oscillator basis to get matrix mechanics. That's it. It's easier than rocket science ;-).

There are some older textbooks overemphasizing wave mechanics, which I don't like, although these books are partially very good otherwise (like Sommerfeld's classic "Atombau und Spektrallinien" (which I'd translate freely with "Atomic structure and spectral lines"), which has the clear advantage of not getting lost in philosophical speculations but are written in the good Sommerfeld style, working out clearly and comprehensively the mathematical methods and applying them to real-world problems).

vanhees71 said:
Dirac's original work on QT answered this question

Yes, I have seen the QT, but I am talking about QFT, at Least it is very hard for me to see the generalization.

Likes vanhees71
atyy said:
The correspondence for relativistic QFT is given by eg. the Osterwalder-Schrader conditions.
No. The latter gives the connection between the Minkowski theory and the Euclidean theory in the Wightman formulation only. Both have also a canonical and a path integral version, and the relation between these versions is logically precise only in the Euclidean case. The relation between Euclidean path integrals and Minkowski path integrals is not rigorous at all.

Likes vanhees71
ftr said:
I have read many textbooks
If this is true, then you should be able to

1) use the Path Integral formulation to derive:

(a) the Schrödinger equation [itex]i\partial_{t}|\Psi \rangle = H(\varphi , \pi )|\Psi \rangle [/itex], (b) the commutation relations [itex][\varphi , \pi ] = i\delta[/itex], etc., and (c) the quantum Hamilton’s equations (also called Heisenberg equations) [itex]\dot{\varphi} = [iH , \pi][/itex], etc.

2) write the functional integral in a coherent state basis, and used it to derive the commutation relations [itex][a , a^{\dagger}] = \delta[/itex], etc.

If you cannot derive all of the above, then you should consider reading more texts.

Likes vanhees71
samalkhaiat said:
If this is true, then you should be able to

1) use the Path Integral formulation to derive:

(a) the Schrödinger equation [itex]i\partial_{t}|\Psi \rangle = H(\varphi , \pi )|\Psi \rangle [/itex], (b) the commutation relations [itex][\varphi , \pi ] = i\delta[/itex], etc., and (c) the quantum Hamilton’s equations (also called Heisenberg equations) [itex]\dot{\varphi} = [iH , \pi][/itex], etc.

2) write the functional integral in a coherent state basis, and used it to derive the commutation relations [itex][a , a^{\dagger}] = \delta[/itex], etc.

If you cannot derive all of the above, then you should consider reading more texts.

I appreciate some references that you could recommend. Thanks

ftr said:
I appreciate some references that you could recommend. Thanks
L. S. Schulman, “Techniques and Applications of Path Integration”, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1980.

It is (in my opinion) the best book ever written on path integral for both mathematicians and physicists.

Likes Demystifier and vanhees71
samalkhaiat said:
L. S. Schulman, “Techniques and Applications of Path Integration”, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1980.

It is (in my opinion) the best book ever written on path integral for both mathematicians and physicists.

Ok, Thanks. I do have a similar book which I did manage to pull it from the stuffed shelves (in two volumes).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/075030801X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

1. What is the difference between operator and path integral in quantum field theory?

The operator formulation of quantum field theory describes the evolution of a system in terms of operators acting on a state vector. On the other hand, the path integral formulation describes the evolution of a system in terms of all possible paths that the system can take. Both formulations are equivalent and can be used to calculate physical quantities in QFT.

2. Which formulation is more commonly used in quantum field theory?

The operator formulation is more commonly used in quantum field theory, as it is more intuitive and easier to apply to specific systems. The path integral formulation is often used as a conceptual tool to gain a deeper understanding of the underlying principles of QFT.

3. Are there any advantages of using the path integral formulation over the operator formulation?

One advantage of the path integral formulation is that it allows for a more natural treatment of symmetries and gauge invariance. It also provides a more intuitive way of dealing with divergences in calculations. In some cases, the path integral formulation can also simplify calculations compared to the operator formulation.

4. How do the operator and path integral formulations relate to each other?

The two formulations are mathematically equivalent, meaning they describe the same physical system and produce the same results. This was proven by Richard Feynman in his famous work on the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics.

5. Can both the operator and path integral formulations be used interchangeably in QFT?

Yes, both formulations can be used interchangeably, although one may be more convenient than the other depending on the specific problem at hand. Some calculations may be easier to perform using the operator formulation, while others may be better suited for the path integral formulation. It is important to understand both formulations in order to fully grasp the concepts of quantum field theory.