1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Once more with feeling! another ideal gas question.

1. Feb 7, 2006 #1
    [SOLVED] once more with feeling! another ideal gas question.

the pressure inside a sealed can which is kept in a deep freeze at -23C is 0.8x10^5 N/m^2. If the can is placed in water of temperature 27C:

calculate the increase in pressure inside the can.

initially, pressure/temperature = 0.8x10^5 / 273-23
    afterwards, pressure 2 divided by (273+27) must equal 320 also. this gives pressure 2 as 96000Pa
    increase in pressure = 0.8x10^5 - 96000
    = -16000
    but if the temperature increases, surely the pressure has to increase? since they are directly proportional??
    or have i taken them away the wrong way round?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The pressure HAS increased. 96,000 is larger than 80,000 after all.
  4. Feb 7, 2006 #3
    I think you need much more information to solve this. We have to find the finla temperature of the air in the can to solve the following.
  5. Feb 7, 2006 #4
    so i guess i was taking them away the wrong way around. :yuck: man i'm stupid.
  6. Feb 7, 2006 #5
    Or I think it has to be assumed that the temperature of the system becomes 300K when put in water nadwas 250K initially. Now use the same relation as you said - P1/T1 = P2/T2.
    You have mistook the sign I would say. You made a silly mistake. Your problem solving is okay.
  7. Feb 7, 2006 #6
    yeah that was the equation i was used, just in some weird convoluted form
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?