One dimension conservative force and potential energy

You can then express the work done in terms of the potential energy change.In summary, when given a conservative force or a potential energy function, one can determine the change in potential energy by using the equations Fx = -du/dx and ΔU = -∫ F dx. This can be derived using the definition that the change in potential energy is equal to the negative of the work done by the internal conservative force. While the equation ΔKE = ∫ F ⋅ dr may be useful in some cases, it is not necessary for determining the change in potential energy.
SPhy

Homework Statement

Given a conservative force, how can we obtain the change in potential energy?
Given a potential energy function, how can we determine the associated conservative force?

One dimensional.

Homework Equations

Fx = -du/dx

ΔU = -∫ F dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I can use the above expressions, however, how can I arrive at these expressions? My textbook and class notes simply say

BY DEFINITION: We will say the change in potential energy is equal to negative of the work done by the internal conservative force.

I know ΔKE = ∫ F ⋅ dr

I can integrate the right side but I obtain something like G(x1) - G(x2)

But then we define U(x) = -G(x) ?

So then to answer the question, should I simply use my equations listed above? Or is there a better way to approach this?

Physics news on Phys.org
SPhy said:
I know ΔKE = ∫ F ⋅ dr
There is not necessarily any KE involved here. That's just one possibility for where the work done has gone. If you generalise this to work done = ∫ F⋅dr then you seem to have all you need.

1. What is a one dimensional conservative force?

A one dimensional conservative force is a type of force that acts on an object along a single dimension, meaning it only has a magnitude and direction. This type of force is considered conservative because the work done by the force in moving the object from one point to another is independent of the path taken.

2. How is potential energy related to one dimensional conservative force?

Potential energy is a measure of the stored energy that an object has due to its position or configuration in a system. In the case of a one dimensional conservative force, potential energy is directly related to the work done by the force in moving the object from one point to another. This means that as the object moves, its potential energy changes accordingly.

3. What is the formula for calculating potential energy in a one dimensional conservative force system?

The formula for calculating potential energy in a one dimensional conservative force system is U = -∫Fdx, where U is the potential energy, F is the conservative force, and dx represents the displacement along the path taken by the object. This formula is based on the fact that the work done by a conservative force is equal to the negative change in potential energy.

4. How does the shape of the potential energy curve reflect the behavior of a one dimensional conservative force?

The shape of the potential energy curve reflects the behavior of a one dimensional conservative force by showing how the potential energy of the object changes as it moves along the path of the force. A flat region on the curve indicates that no work is being done, while a steep region indicates a large amount of work is being done. Additionally, the minimum point on the curve represents the equilibrium position of the object, where the force is zero.

5. Can a one dimensional conservative force be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, a one dimensional conservative force can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy. When an object is released from a position of higher potential energy, it will accelerate due to the force and gain kinetic energy. This conversion of energy is known as the conservation of mechanical energy and is a fundamental principle in physics.