1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One dimensional motion- object accelerating straight downwards

1. Jan 30, 2012 #1
    One dimensional motion-- object accelerating straight downwards

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A rocket, initially at rest, is fired at "t = 0" vertically down from a building of height "H". The rocket's acceleration, including the effects of gravity, is downwards with increasing magnitude given by a(t) = βt, where "β" is a known constant. When does it hit the ground and how fast is it going when it hits?

2. Relevant equations

xf = xi + vi*t + (1/2)*a*t2

3. The attempt at a solution

xf = (0) + vi*t + (1/2)*β*t2

I plugged everything into this equation, but it doesn't look right. I'm really confused. thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: One dimensional motion-- object accelerating straight downwards

Hi Texan14,

Is the acceleration constant? If not, why do you want to use the formula for constant acceleration?

Go back to the definition of acceleration.

ehild

4. Jan 30, 2012 #3

I decided to integrate until I got the position function and solved for "t" and just plugged that into v(t). Thank you for your help, I don't know why I wanted to use that equation! haha

5. Jan 30, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It does not hurt to read the the problem before plugging in everything to everywhere...:tongue2:

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook