One-dimensional motion with w/ aceleration dependant on speed.

In summary, Cyosis found that the average acceleration for the marble was -3.9375 m/s and that it took 0.190 seconds for the marble to reach this average acceleration.
Brasi333

Homework Statement

The accelration of a marble in a certain fluid is proportional to the speed of the marble squared and given (in SI units) by a=-3.00v2 for v>0. If the marble enters this fluid with a speed of 1.50 m/s, how long will it take before the marble's speed is reduced to half of its initial value?

Homework Equations

vf=vi+at

Average of f(x)=integral of f(x) with respect to x from a to b, divided by b-a.

The Attempt at a Solution

*Everything is in meters and seconds*. As this problem is very straightforward except for the acceleration, I began with using the kinematic equation above that involves vf, vi, a, and t. Since the acceleration varies with respect to speed, I figured that I would need the average acceleration. Integrating -3.00v2 from 1.5 (vi) to 0.75 (vf; half of vi) I got 2.953125. Then, dividing this by -0.75 (0.75-1.5) I got -3.9375, which should be the average acceleration. Going back to the kinematic equation, solving for t yields t=(vf-vi)/a, where I have the following values:
vf= 0.75
vi= 1.5
a=-3.9375 (average acceleration, calculated above).

Using these values I get a time of t=0.190 seconds. The answer in the book is 0.222 seconds. At this point I've gone over the problem multiple times and I can't see what I'm doing wrong. However, this is my first time doing physics in a long while, and my method is of my own creation, not from the book or anything, so I could be off the ball on that. By working backwards I can see that the average acceleration should be -3.375. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It goes wrong, because you're using equations that are valid for constant acceleration, which is not the case here.

You have been given a relation between a and v^2. Remember that a=dv/dt, can you solve the differential equation [itex]dv/dt=-3.00v^2[/itex]?

Thanks for the help Cyosis.

You got me reviewing differential equations sooner that I figured :P. I got the right answer, but I am showing how I solved it in case others want to look at this example. (As an aside, could you explain to me how you know when to resort to differential equations? Is it just because all they gave essentially was a non-constant acceleration, and we had to work backwards from that?)

Ok, dv/dt=a=-3.00v2

dv/(-3v2)=dt (separation of variables)

1/(3v)=t+C (integrate with respect to t)

solving for v gives v=1/[3(t+C)]

v(0)=1.5=1/(3C) (initial conditions)

solving for C gives C=1/4.5 or 0.222

now we have v(t)=1/[3(t+0.222)]

solving for t gives t=1/(3v)-0.222

The question asks for the time when v=0.5vi, or 0.5*1.5. So, using v=0.75 gives t=0.222s.

Thanks Cyosis!

You're welcome.

It's not so much of when to resort to using differential equations, but more of a lot of equations in physics actually being differential equations. For example F=ma, I am sure you know that equation but a=dv/dt and v=dx/dt so we can write F=ma as a first order differential equation with respect to v [itex]F=m \frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] or a second order differential equation in x, [itex]F=m \frac{d^2x}{dt^2}[/itex]. In fact all equations of motion are differential equations.

Lets do an example quickly, calculating the equation of motion for a falling particle. The force is mg so we have [itex]mg=m \frac{dv}{dt}[/itex], integrating on both sides yields v=gt+c, c being the velocity at t=0.

1. What is one-dimensional motion with acceleration dependent on speed?

One-dimensional motion with acceleration dependent on speed is a type of motion where an object moves along a straight line and its acceleration is directly proportional to its speed. This means that as the object's speed increases, so does its acceleration.

2. How is acceleration dependent on speed in one-dimensional motion?

In one-dimensional motion with acceleration dependent on speed, the acceleration is determined by multiplying the object's speed by a constant factor. This means that as the speed increases or decreases, the acceleration will also increase or decrease accordingly.

3. What is the formula for calculating acceleration in one-dimensional motion with acceleration dependent on speed?

The formula for calculating acceleration in this type of motion is a = k * v, where "a" is the acceleration, "k" is the constant factor, and "v" is the speed of the object.

4. How does acceleration affect the motion of an object in one-dimensional motion with acceleration dependent on speed?

Acceleration plays a crucial role in determining the motion of an object in this type of motion. If the acceleration is positive, the object will speed up in the direction of motion. If the acceleration is negative, the object will slow down in the direction of motion. If the acceleration is zero, the object will continue moving at a constant speed.

5. What are some real-life examples of one-dimensional motion with acceleration dependent on speed?

Examples of one-dimensional motion with acceleration dependent on speed include a car moving on a straight road, a rollercoaster ride, a ball rolling down a ramp, and a pendulum swinging back and forth. In all of these examples, the acceleration of the object is directly related to its speed.