Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One dimensional problems. More particles.

1. Mar 16, 2014 #1
    If I have one dimensional problem with many particles that are all in same ##|\psi\rangle## state is it equal to one dimensional problem of one particle in state ##|\psi\rangle##.
    If I have for example 50 particles in some state ##\psi(x)## in infinite potential well and that state is symmetric around ##\frac{a}{2}## such that ##\int^{\frac{a}{2}}_0|\psi(x)|^2dx=\frac{1}{2}##. Is in that case true statement that ##25## particles are in the region ##0<x<\frac{a}{2}## and 25 are in the region ##\frac{a}{2}<x<a##?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2014 #2
    I would say not. The average may be 25 on each side though.

4. Mar 16, 2014 #3

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Think about the classical case. 50 particles, each independently with probability 1/2 to be on the left, probability 1/2 to be on the right. How many do you expect to find on each side? Hint: can you say "binomial distribution"? :wink:

The quantum case is no different.

5. Mar 16, 2014 #4
    My question is if I have coin, probability to get head is ##\frac{1}{2}##. If I throw the coin 100 times I could get for example 60 times head. Then in this case is it possible that ##60## particles be in the region ##0<x<\frac{a}{2}## and 40 in the region ##\frac{a}{2}<x<a##?

6. Mar 16, 2014 #5
    You need to count all the permutations which are the same, hence use the binomial distribution.

7. Mar 16, 2014 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, this is certainly possible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook