1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One dimensional wave equation

1. Sep 18, 2011 #1
    Hi there. I was trying to understand this deduction of the one dimensional wave equation developed at the beggining of the book A first course in partial differential equations of H.F. Weinberger.

You can see it right here: http://books.google.com.ar/books?hl...2eHPnArCVnLC7Q0FtHljNwcV7g#v=onepage&q&f=fals

I'm having a problem with the part where he consideres the tension over the string. I don't know how this expression is deduced. The book says: We now consider an arbitrary portion [tex]s_1\leq s\leq s_2[/tex] of the string. Taking the components of the tensile force in the x-direction, we find that the total force in the x-direction acting on this portion is:

[tex]\frac{ T(s_2,t)\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}(s_2,t) }{ \sqrt { \left ( \frac{\partial x}{\partial s}\right )^2+\left( \frac{\partial y}{\partial s}\right )^2}}-\frac{ T(s_1,t)\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}(s_1,t) }{ \sqrt { \left ( \frac{\partial x}{\partial s}\right )^2+\left( \frac{\partial y}{\partial s}\right )^2}}[/tex]

The whole problem for me now is just this thing. I think I understand a bit what this equation says, but perhaps some one could help me to figure this out more clearly. At first, T is some function, lets say a function force that depends on the material, and as we stretch it or compress, as a spring, it produces a reaction. Ok. Then the denominator is the arc lenght formula, so its saying how much we stretched or compressed the string. And the other thing is the derivative of the curve, and I think its there because the force goes tangential to the string. Is this lecture right?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It's nothing terribly complicated. The slope of the string at the point s is given by tan θ = ∂y/∂x = (∂y/∂s)/(∂x/∂s). The horizontal component of the tension is therefore given by
    [tex]T(s,t)\cos\theta = T(s,t)\frac{\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}}{\sqrt{\left(\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}\right)^2+\left(\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}\right)^2}}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook