One issue about Kuratowski definition of an ordered pair.

In summary, the conversation discusses the Kuratowski definition of ordered pairs and triplets, and the difficulty in distinguishing between them using this definition. It is suggested that indexing or adding extra information can help differentiate between objects with the same set-theoretic definition. However, it is also noted that in most cases, there is no need to differentiate between ordered pairs and triplets.
cheesecakes
Hello.

I have understood the Kuratowski definition of the ordered pair and appreciate it's usefulness but have a nagging difficulty about it.

Consider an ordered pair which is (a,a). according to Kuratowski definition it is defined as {{a},{a,a}} . Now consider an ordered triplet (a,a,a) it would be defined as {{a},{a,a},{a,a,a}}.

My point is isn't {{a},{a,a}} same as {a}
and isn't {{a},{a,a},{a,a,a}} also same as {a} .

So how to distinguish between (a,a) and (a,a,a) using Kuratowski definition?I am painfully aware that I am missing out on some basic set theory fundamental over here.
Is it implicit that when we use sets to define mathematical objects we restrain ourselves to that particular object only.As in this case when we define ordered pairs as sets we have it as an implicit assumption that this set is an ordered pair??

Physics news on Phys.org
Now consider an ordered triplet (a,a,a) it would be defined as {{a},{a,a},{a,a,a}}.
You are considering defining ordered triples as
(a,b,c)={{a}, {a,b}, {a,b,c}}​
then? I've never seen such a definition proposed -- in fact, it is definitely inadequate because, by that definition,
(a,b,b) = (a,a,b)​

That aside, typically you are never in a situation where you are wondering if some mathematical object is an ordered pair or an ordered triple. In the odd case that you needed an collection that contained objects of both types, then if necessary one would put into the collection extra information to allow you to tell the difference (assuming you really did need to be able to do so).

The definition of a triple is (a,b,c) := (a,(b,c)). Since (a,a) = {{a},{a,a}} = {{a},{a}} = {{a}}, we will have that (a,a,a) = (a,(a,a)) = (a,{{a}}) =/= (a,a) by uniqueness of components.

Normally when you want to differentiate between objects which happens to have the same set-theoretic definition, you can simply index your objects of interest to make them unique.

Hurkyl said:
You are considering defining ordered triples as
(a,b,c)={{a}, {a,b}, {a,b,c}}​
then? I've never seen such a definition proposed -- in fact, it is definitely inadequate because, by that definition,
(a,b,b) = (a,a,b)​

Oops. I goofed up.

But my point could have been phrased using other mathematical objects. And that you people have addressed . Thanks.

Your ordered triplet is the ordered pair: <<a,b>,c> or {{{a}.{a,b}}},{{{a}.{a,b}}},{{a}.{a,b}},{c}}}}

1. What is the Kuratowski definition of an ordered pair?

The Kuratowski definition of an ordered pair is a mathematical concept proposed by Polish mathematician Kazimierz Kuratowski. It states that an ordered pair (a,b) is defined as the set {{a}, {a,b}}.

2. How does the Kuratowski definition differ from other definitions of an ordered pair?

The Kuratowski definition differs from other definitions in that it is based on the concept of sets and their elements, rather than relying on a specific mathematical structure or operation. This allows for a more general and flexible approach to defining ordered pairs.

3. What is the significance of the Kuratowski definition in mathematics?

The Kuratowski definition is significant in that it provides a rigorous and consistent way to define ordered pairs in set theory. It also serves as the foundation for other important mathematical concepts, such as functions and relations.

4. Are there any limitations or criticisms of the Kuratowski definition?

Some limitations and criticisms of the Kuratowski definition include its reliance on the axiom of regularity, which is not accepted by all mathematicians, and its inability to account for ordered pairs with repeated elements. Some also argue that it is overly complex and not intuitive.

5. How is the Kuratowski definition used in other areas of science?

The Kuratowski definition is used in various areas of science, particularly in fields that involve discrete structures and set theory, such as computer science, logic, and linguistics. It is also used in the study of topology and graph theory, where ordered pairs play a crucial role in defining relationships between objects.