Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One of the fairfax county mathematics league problem

1. Apr 14, 2008 #1
    I feel like I can solve this problem easily.. However..
    I can't -_-
    I get three variables and I can get only 2 equations..T.T
    How do you solve this!!
    This question makes me itchy!!

"If Al gives Liz $10 and Carlo gives Liz $15, then Liz has as much money as Al and Carlo together. Instead, if Al gives Carlo $15 and Liz gives Carlo $8, then Carlo has as much money as Al and Liz together. How many dollars does Al have at the start?"

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2008 #2
    Well, if I read this question correctly, Al has 48$.

4. Apr 15, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You start by naming things: Let A be the amount of money Al has at the start, L the amount of money Liz has, and C be the amount of money Carlo has.

After Al gives Liz $10, he has A- 10 left. After Carlo gives Liz $15, he has C- 15 left. Liz has L+ 10+ 15= L+ 25. Then "Liz has as much money as Al and Carlo together: L+ 25= A-10+ C- 15. L+ 25= A+ C- 25 or L= A+ C- 50.

If Al gives Carlo $15, he has A- 15. If Liz gives Carlo $8, she has L- 8. Carlo has, of course, C+ 15+ 8= C+ 23. Then "Carlo has as much money as Al and Liz together: C+ 23= L-8+ A- 15= L+ A- 23: C= L+ A- 46.

You have the two equations: L= A+ C- 50 and C= L+ A- 46. What do you get if you add the two equations?

5. Apr 15, 2008 #4
    oh!!! I see the L cancels out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ah,,, I should have got this problem right.!! T.T
    Anyways thanks, now I can sleep with out anxiety!lol ><

6. Apr 16, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Is that Fairfax County, Virginia, U.S.A., by the way?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?