OneDrive for business - easy access to folder structure?

In summary, a solution that would allow access to a user's files and folder structure in a user-friendly way and be easy to log into on a "random" computer is possible, but requires a drive mapping tool such as Zee Drive.
TSN79
I'm considering using OneDrive for business as a part of Office 365. What I'm unsure about is how to use it exactly. What I need it for is simply as a way of accessing my files and folders in the File Explorer. What I don't get is this sync-business I keep reading about. If the only thought behind syncing is so that I can work offline, then syncing is of no interest to me as I never do. I only need to have online access to my files and folders.

The Sharepoint-area is not very user-friendly in terms of navigating the folder structure, drag-and-drop, and such compared to File Explorer, which is why I either need to use the OneDrive for business-app, or map it as a network drive. Both of which are useless solutions should I ever want to log into a computer that doesn't have one of these already set up.

Is there a solution that can give me access to my folder structure and files in a user-friendly way, and also be easy to log into on a "random" computer?

Computer science news on Phys.org
TSN79 said:
... Is there a solution that can give me access to my folder structure and files in a user-friendly way, and also be easy to log into on a "random" computer?

Google-Drive offers free "cloud" storage of copies of files on your computer. These copies can be accessed by any* computer connected to the internet : no special software required. [ * security options can be selected restricting access ].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Drive

I use Google Drive and recommend it.

To get the kind of experience you are after you need a drive mapping tool. This will ensure that when you sign into Windows a drive is automatically mapped to your OneDrive for Business. Then you can work with your files through Windows File Explorer just like they were on an on-premises file server.

An example of a tool like this is Zee Drive http://www.thinkscape.com/Map-Network-Drives-To-Office-365-OneDrive/

Note that Zee Drive is a commercial tool.

TSN79 said:
I'm considering using OneDrive for business as a part of Office 365. What I'm unsure about is how to use it exactly. What I need it for is simply as a way of accessing my files and folders in the File Explorer. What I don't get is this sync-business I keep reading about. If the only thought behind syncing is so that I can work offline, then syncing is of no interest to me as I never do. I only need to have online access to my files and folders.

The Sharepoint-area is not very user-friendly in terms of navigating the folder structure, drag-and-drop, and such compared to File Explorer, which is why I either need to use the OneDrive for business-app, or map it as a network drive. Both of which are useless solutions should I ever want to log into a computer that doesn't have one of these already set up.

Is there a solution that can give me access to my folder structure and files in a user-friendly way, and also be easy to log into on a "random" computer?
Both Google Drive and OneDrive can be accessed via browsers, have you tried that?

1. What is OneDrive for Business?

OneDrive for Business is a cloud-based file hosting service that allows businesses to store, access, and share their files and folders securely. It is a part of Microsoft's Office 365 suite and is designed for use in a professional setting.

2. How does OneDrive for Business provide easy access to folder structure?

OneDrive for Business uses a folder structure that is similar to the traditional file system on a computer. This makes it easy for users to organize and navigate through their files and folders. Additionally, OneDrive for Business allows users to create and share subfolders, making it easier to collaborate and manage files within a team.

3. Can I access my files on OneDrive for Business from any device?

Yes, OneDrive for Business is accessible from any device with an internet connection. This includes desktop computers, laptops, tablets, and smartphones. Users can also download the OneDrive for Business app on their devices for easier access.

4. How secure is OneDrive for Business?

OneDrive for Business has several security measures in place to protect user data. This includes encryption of data in transit and at rest, multi-factor authentication, and compliance with various industry standards. Additionally, businesses can set access and sharing permissions for specific files and folders to control who can view and edit them.

5. Is OneDrive for Business suitable for large businesses?

Yes, OneDrive for Business is suitable for businesses of all sizes. It offers scalable storage options and can accommodate large amounts of data. Additionally, businesses can upgrade to a higher storage plan if needed. OneDrive for Business also allows for easy collaboration and file sharing, making it a valuable tool for large teams.