"Onion proof" of the area of a circle

In summary, the area of a circle can be calculated by thinking of it as a series of thin discs close to the center, with each disc having an area of 2πrdr. By using integration, the summation of these discs results in the total area of the circle. It is valid to think of each thin disc as a rectangle with a length of 2πr and a height of dr. This can be seen by considering the infinitesimal dimensions of the disc and using the limit as it approaches zero. Therefore, the area of the circle can be expressed as 2πrdr and can be obtained by integration.
K41
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_of_a_circle#Onion_proof
I understand the basic concept, although it is a little difficult to visualize the thin discs close to the centre of the circle. Regarding the area of each disc, it is given in the link above as 2πrdr. Then, by means of integration, each disc is "added" and the total area of the circle obtained.

Is it valid to think of each thin disc as a rectangle of length "2πr" and height "dr"?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thinking it as a rectangle is unnecessary, but if it works for you - OK.

Likes K41
Of course it is, were you to "unroll" it, it'd be just that.

K41 said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_of_a_circle#Onion_proof
I understand the basic concept, although it is a little difficult to visualize the thin discs close to the centre of the circle. Regarding the area of each disc, it is given in the link above as 2πrdr. Then, by means of integration, each disc is "added" and the total area of the circle obtained.

Is it valid to think of each thin disc as a rectangle of length "2πr" and height "dr"?

I suspect that was a abuse of language; the way I learned, infinitesimals of higher order (like ##(\Delta x)^2## ) vanish when compared to infinitesimals of first order (like ##\Delta x##). In the figure below:

The area ## \Delta A ## is a segment of a ring with thickness ##\Delta r## and inner radius ##r \Delta\phi## and outer radius ##(r + \Delta r) \Delta\phi##; now, for ##\Delta\phi## very small,

##sin \Delta\phi = \Delta\phi + \epsilon (\Delta\phi)^3 + ...##

when the limit is taken, the term ##(\Delta \phi)^3## becomes an infinitesimal of higher order, so it will vanish when compared to ##\Delta\phi##; therefore ##sin \Delta\phi = \Delta\phi## when the limit is taken. That is, when the limit is taken the inner radius is the same as ##r sin \Delta\phi##, that is, the same as the base of a trapezoid.

Now, the outer radius of the ring is ##(r+\Delta r)*\Delta\phi##, which is the same (on the limit) as ##(r + \Delta r) * sin \Delta\phi##, which is the same as the second base of the trapezoid.

It so happens that ##(r + \Delta r) * sin \Delta\phi = r.sin \Delta\phi + (\Delta r)*(sin \Delta \phi) = (r.sin \Delta\phi )+ (\Delta r)*( \Delta\phi )## and ##(\Delta r)*(\Delta\phi)## is also an infinitesimal of higher order, so it will vanish too on the limit; therefore, the length of the second base is the same as the first base, making that a rectangle on the limit, not a trapezoid. The rectangle has base ##(r.sin \Delta\phi)## and height ##\Delta r##. I think that's why the guy wrote that the infinitesimal ring segment is equivalent to an infinitesimal rectangle, or abusing the language, the ring is equivalent to a rectangle.

So ##\Delta A = (\Delta r)*(r.sin \Delta\phi)## + (higher order infinitesimals) = ##r \Delta r \Delta\phi## + (higher order infinitesimals), and

##lim_{r->0,phi->0} \Delta A = d^2A = lim_{r->0,phi->0} (r \Delta r \Delta\phi) + lim_{r->0,phi->0}## (higher order infinitesimals)## = r.dr.d\phi + 0##

integrating over ##\phi##, the area of the ring is then ##dA = 2 \pi r dr##

Keep in mind, I'm just a low level Padawan here, so someone will probably admonish me for abusing notation too.. :)

Err... typo... those limits are on ##lim_{\Delta r ->0,\Delta \phi ->0}##, not ##lim_{r ->0,\phi ->0}## ... haha... I'm so bad on writing properly :D

1. What is the "Onion proof" of the area of a circle?

The "Onion proof" is a visual representation of the area of a circle using concentric circles as layers of "onion". This method is used to demonstrate the relationship between the radius and circumference of a circle and how it relates to its area.

2. How does the "Onion proof" work?

The "Onion proof" works by arranging a series of concentric circles inside a larger circle. Each layer represents a fraction of the original circle's radius. As more layers are added, the area of the circle increases, and the relationship between the radius and circumference becomes clearer.

3. What is the significance of the "Onion proof"?

The "Onion proof" is significant because it provides a visual and intuitive understanding of the area of a circle. It helps to bridge the gap between the abstract mathematical concept and its real-world application, making it easier for students to grasp and remember the formula for the area of a circle.

4. How accurate is the "Onion proof" compared to the traditional formula for the area of a circle?

The "Onion proof" is just as accurate as the traditional formula for the area of a circle. Both methods yield the same result, but the "Onion proof" offers a more tangible and comprehensive understanding of how the formula works.

5. Can the "Onion proof" be used to calculate the area of other shapes?

The "Onion proof" is specific to circles and cannot be applied to other shapes. However, the concept of using layers to represent fractions of a shape's radius can be adapted to other shapes, such as squares or triangles, to aid in understanding their area formulas.