Ooo template Method of image charges

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two semi-infinite grounded plane conductors intersecting at an angle of 60 degrees and a point charge located a distance away from the origin. The question is where the image charges would be located and what their values would be. The method for solving this type of problem is not explained in detail, but the solution for a simpler problem with conductors at right angles is referenced. The images are expected to be located in a similar manner to the simpler problem, and the five images are identified in a linked image. The importance of considering the sign of each image and adding the potential from all six charges is mentioned.
schattenjaeger

Homework Statement

Two semi-infinite grounded plane conductors that intersect at the origin, with an angle of 60 degrees between them. A point charge of q is located some distance from the origin, and bisects the angle between the two conductors, where would the image charges be and what would they be?

Homework Equations

well you got to know the method, I won't explain it in detail

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, here's the thing, I can solve the simpler similar problem where the conductors are at right angles(ie they intersect at the origin and run along the x and y axis, and the "vacuum" region is in the first quadrant)Based on that solution, I figure the image charges should be locacted... http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/Phys/Class/refln/u13l2f.html scroll down to the first big picture, about the middle. I figure where I1, I2, and I5 are. But really I'm a bit at a loss, if someone could poke me in the right direction. Is the problem described clearly enough?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The 5 images look right. Just make sure they each have the right sign and add the potential from all six charges.

1. What is the "Method of Image Charges" in physics?

The "Method of Image Charges" is a technique used in electrostatics to solve problems involving a charge near a conducting surface. It involves creating a hypothetical image charge on the opposite side of the surface, which mirrors the original charge's electric field and satisfies the boundary conditions of the conductor. This allows for easier calculation of the electric potential and field at any point in space.

2. How does the "Method of Image Charges" work?

The "Method of Image Charges" works by exploiting the symmetry of a charge near a conducting surface. By creating an image charge, the electric field lines from the original charge are mirrored and satisfy the boundary conditions of the conductor. This results in a simpler calculation of the electric potential and field at any point in space.

3. What are the applications of the "Method of Image Charges"?

The "Method of Image Charges" has many applications in physics, particularly in electrostatics. It is commonly used to solve problems involving point charges near a conducting plane or sphere, as well as in calculating the electric potential and field within a parallel plate capacitor or between two conducting spheres.

4. What are the limitations of the "Method of Image Charges"?

While the "Method of Image Charges" is a useful tool in electrostatics, it does have its limitations. It can only be used for problems involving a charge near a conducting surface, and the surface must be at a constant potential. It also does not take into account the effects of other charges in the system, and is limited to problems with simple geometries.

5. Are there any real-life examples of the "Method of Image Charges"?

Yes, there are several real-life examples where the "Method of Image Charges" is applicable. One common example is in lightning protection systems, where conductors are strategically placed on buildings to redirect lightning strikes away from sensitive areas. Another example is in the design of electronic devices, where the presence of conductive materials can affect the behavior of electric fields and require the use of the "Method of Image Charges" for accurate calculations.