Open Call: propose a CubeSat payload

• Thread starter p1ayaone1
  • Start date
In summary, a group of electrical, mechanical, and computer engineering students are working on a satellite design project and are seeking ideas from the general public and "pure" scientists for potential payloads. The parameters include keeping it legal, practical, and within a certain size and weight limit. They are particularly interested in ideas related to innovation, environmental stewardship, and industrial applications. One idea suggested is using the satellite for night-time infrared thermography of building roofs. Another suggestion is to develop low power, high bandwidth line of sight communication. The group is also encouraged to seek guidance and assistance from the Cubesat Forum for further ideas and support.
p1ayaone1
To the good people of PF,

I've been working an a few satellite design projects at school, and we are just getting started on one that might actually be launched (in about two years time).

We have lots of ideas, but we're all electrical, mechanical, and computer engineers, and our thinking is biased by that. So we have been approaching the general public, as well and some of the "pure" scientists at school for payload ideas. I though this would be a perfect forum to hear some ideas.

1. Keep it legal. No weapons.
2. Keep it practical. 1 watt, 10 cm cube, 1.33 kg maximum. Small deployables are possible, so long as they remain connected to the satellite.
3. Keep it real. I'd love to build a wormhole-opener, but I don't know how. Not sure if anyone does.

We are looking for points on innovation, environmental stewardship, or industrial applications. It is possible we have primary and secondary payloads.

Any and all ideas are welcome!

Engineering news on Phys.org
p1ayaone1 said:
To the good people of PF,
<snip>
Any and all ideas are welcome!

I think it could be cool to have night-time infrared thermography of building roofs, to see how much heat they leak. But I don't know if a cubesat is able to broadcast high bandwidth information (power and size issue). Also that could turn into a somewhat unwelcome monitoring tool.

So how about this: Try to develop low power, high bandwidth line of sight communication. [Could the sat modulate the reflectivity of a retro-reflector so almost no power is used to communicate at optical-fiber bandwidths?] Just a proof of concept, only worthwhile if such solutions are not already well known. Such a technology might even be usable for communicating with an extrasolar satellite.

There is a Cubesat Forum (see the links):

http://cubesat.ifastnet.com/forum
http://cubesat.ifastnet.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

Take a look at it and ask questions there. Somebody will help you.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an Open Call for CubeSat payload proposals?

An Open Call for CubeSat payload proposals is a request for innovative ideas from the scientific community to design and develop a payload that can be launched into space on a CubeSat satellite. This provides an opportunity for scientists to conduct experiments and collect data in space at a lower cost compared to traditional satellite missions.

2. Who can participate in an Open Call for CubeSat payload proposals?

Anyone with a scientific background, including students, researchers, and scientists, can participate in an Open Call for CubeSat payload proposals. This includes individuals, university teams, and companies.

3. What is the selection process for an Open Call for CubeSat payload proposals?

The selection process for an Open Call for CubeSat payload proposals typically involves a review panel of experts who assess the proposals based on scientific merit, technical feasibility, and relevance to the mission objectives. The panel may also consider the experience and qualifications of the proposer.

4. What are the potential benefits of participating in an Open Call for CubeSat payload proposals?

Participating in an Open Call for CubeSat payload proposals can provide scientists with hands-on experience in designing, building, and testing a payload for space. It also offers the opportunity to conduct research in a unique environment and contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge.

5. How can I find information about upcoming Open Calls for CubeSat payload proposals?

You can find information about upcoming Open Calls for CubeSat payload proposals on the websites of space agencies and organizations that offer these opportunities. You can also follow these organizations on social media and sign up for newsletters to stay updated on the latest calls for proposals.