Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Open or closed Casimir system?

1. Jan 15, 2017 #1
    If you had the Casimir effect pushing two plates together, would that be an open or closed system? And why? I haven't been able to find a satisfying answer/explanation to that.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2017 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What is your definition of these terms?

4. Jan 15, 2017 #3
    That's the thing: I'm not sure how they'd be defined here. It's obviously easy if you have a classical system, but things get fuzzy when you have virtual energy.

5. Jan 15, 2017 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

I'm not sure why you would think so. But let's start with the classical definition: what do you think that is?

6. Jan 15, 2017 #5
    Isn't it closed if no energy/matter is entering or leaving the system, and open otherwise?

7. Jan 15, 2017 #6

PeterDonis

2016 Award

That'll work. Now, if we have two plates sitting in vacuum, nothing else present, what energy or matter could be entering or leaving the system?

8. Jan 15, 2017 #7
    Possibly the virtual photons. But due to their nature, I'm not sure if that would constitute entering/leaving the system, or if they would be considered to be already part of the system. Hence my confusion.

9. Jan 15, 2017 #8

PeterDonis

2016 Award

The virtual photons are part of the system. They aren't coming in from outside.

More precisely, "virtual photons" is only a heuristic way of describing what is causing the Casimir Effect. A better way is to say that the presence of the plates changes the vacuum state between the plates, in such a way as to create a force that attracts the plates to each other.

But no matter how you describe it, it should be evident that there is nothing entering or leaving the system as a whole; you could draw a boundary around the whole apparatus and measure energy flow across the boundary and find that it is zero. That's part of the specification of the scenario.

10. Jan 15, 2017 #9
    Fair enough. Would that also be related to it apparently being a conservative force?

11. Jan 15, 2017 #10

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Not really; conservative forces are not limited to closed systems, unless you want to consider the entire universe as part of the "system".

12. Jan 15, 2017 #11
    Fair point. :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted