Opera browser is trying to visit a harmful website everytime I open it

• Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is that a Quick Heal chrome plugin is not installed and this is causing a pop-up message to be displayed every time Opera is opened.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
On our Windows 7 32-bit desktop, we have two browsers: Opera (default) and Chrome. Both are updated to the latest version.

Every time we open Opera, we get this message from Quick Heal:

1600360790297.png

This pop-up is not shown when Chrome is opened.

I cannot understand who is trying to access this website: tudap.ru. Is there some type of virus in the system? I conducted a full system scan with Quick Heal and also with the Malwarebytes tool, but nothing was found. This problem has started very recently; maybe only some weeks old.

Any idea how this can be solved? Is an extension causing this problem?

Computer science news on Phys.org
What is more disturbing is that Chrome did not find it?

It could well be a virus that is doing this popup. I did check and Quick Heal is a valid provider of internet security from India. So perhaps a Quick Heal chrome plugin isn't installed.

How about trying Firefox?

More on tudap here:

https://rankchart.org/site/tudap.ru/

Seems safe from Google's and Semantics perspective, hence not being flagged.

I would take a look at the home page URL that is set in Opera. It's probably not what you expect.

Likes MikeeMiracle, sysprog and jedishrfu
It's possible that Opera has a browser extension installed that Chrome does not.

Likes sysprog and jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
What is more disturbing is that Chrome did not find it?
Yes.
jedishrfu said:
So perhaps a Quick Heal chrome plugin isn't installed.
There is no Quick Heal plugin. The software works on all browsers on the system. It acts like a firewall.
jedishrfu said:
How about trying Firefox?
The pop-up is coming only with Opera.

Borg said:
I would take a look at the home page URL that is set in Opera. It's probably not what you expect.
It is set to the Opera Start Page, and that is what we had set it to.
DaveC426913 said:
It's possible that Opera has a browser extension installed that Chrome does not.
True, Opera has two extensions that Chrome doesn't have. But they have been there for ages.

I checked the Quick Heal report page, and it seems the problem started from 26/8/2020. I don't remember installing any new software/extension during/before that time which can cause this problem.

I checked online and could find no reports related to the tudap website as a bad site to visit perse although it does come from the Russian Federation.

Likes Wrichik Basu
jedishrfu said:
I checked online and could find no reports related to the tudap website as a bad site to visit perse although it does come from the Russian Federation.
The fact that it is not a harmful site lowers the worries. But one question remains: why is Opera trying to reach this site every time it is opened? I can configure Quick Heal firewall to allow access to this site, but I can't see any application installed on my PC that would normally want to reach this site.

Found the cause of the problem: it was this extension: https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/all-in-all-downloader/

It was installed for many years, so I never suspected it. Removed it, and now everything is fine.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions/advice/help.

• Love
Likes DaveC426913 and jedishrfu
How did you discover it? process of elimination, or some scan of code?

EDIT: Okay I see a user comment on the link you provided flags it as spam.

jedishrfu said:
How did you discover it? process of elimination, or some scan of code?
Yes, simple process of elimination. I disabled all the extensions, and restarted the PC. On opening Opera, the pop-up was no longer coming. So I started enabling the extensions one by one. As soon as I enabled this extension, the pop-up came up. I verified it by disabling and enabling it again. After i removed the extension, the problem is gone.
jedishrfu said:
EDIT: Okay I see a user comment on the link you provided flags it as spam.
I have put that comment.

Likes sysprog and jedishrfu
Ahh, I didn't catch that you were the poster of the comment. Good job to warn others.

Likes sysprog and Wrichik Basu

1. Why is my Opera browser trying to visit a harmful website every time I open it?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to a malware or adware infection on your computer, a corrupted browser extension, or a phishing attempt. It's important to run a thorough antivirus scan and check for any suspicious browser extensions.

2. Is my Opera browser compromised if it keeps trying to visit a harmful website?

Not necessarily. It's possible that the harmful website is trying to exploit a vulnerability in your browser, but it could also be a false positive. It's important to investigate the cause and take appropriate action to ensure your browser and computer are secure.

3. How can I stop my Opera browser from trying to visit a harmful website?

If your browser is consistently trying to visit a harmful website, you can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, disabling any suspicious extensions, and running a full antivirus scan. You may also want to consider resetting your browser to its default settings.

4. Can I prevent my Opera browser from automatically opening harmful websites?

Yes, you can configure your browser's security settings to block harmful websites from automatically opening. You can also enable pop-up blockers and install browser extensions that provide additional security measures.

5. How can I report a harmful website that my Opera browser keeps trying to visit?

If you encounter a harmful website while using Opera, you can report it to Opera's Safe Browsing team. You can also report the website to Google's Safe Browsing team, as they provide a list of potentially dangerous websites that many browsers, including Opera, use to protect users from harmful content.