Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Operator on a set spaned the space

1. May 19, 2012 #1
    Hi there,

Let [itex]X[/itex] be a Hilbert (Banach) space, and spanned by a set [itex]S[/itex], say.
    Let [itex]A[/itex] be linear bounded operator on X into itself.
    Suppose that the operator is well known on S, that is
    [itex]Aa_i=b_i[/itex] for all [itex]a_i\in S[/itex].
    First, is this operator unique on X? if yes, can we find [itex]Aa[/itex], for general element a in X, in terms of [itex]b_i[/itex].

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What do you mean with this?? I ask because you might mean something completely different that I am thinking right now.

4. May 19, 2012 #3
    That is, the space is generated by the closure of all linear combinations from S.

5. May 19, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Ah, I suspected something like that.

The answer is yes, the operator will be unique.

You can see that is two stages: suppose that T is unique on S, then it's also unique on linear combinations of S. Indeed, take a linear combination [itex]a=\sum \lambda_i a_i[/itex], then we have

[tex]T(a)=\sum \lambda_i T(a_i)[/tex]

Then use that if T is unique on a dense subset, then it's unique on the entire set. Indeed, take x in the closure, then there is a sequence [itex]x_n\rightarrow x[/itex]. It must hold that

[tex]T(x_n)\rightarrow T(x)[/tex]

6. May 19, 2012 #5
    Thank you.
    I completely agree with you. But what about the second part of the question, that is
    can we find the operator on the whole space X?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook