Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Operators implementation with operators

1. Oct 9, 2015 #1
    Hello I may make some mistakes because I am not professional at physics:smile:.So I want to know how to
    implementate wave function with operators example:p(hat) impletated with ψ so: p(hat)ψ=pψ so as you saw it was momentum operator and momentum operator is:-iħ∂/∂x as you saw it is one diemensional momentum operator.So we have ψ one dimensional so we have ψ(x) and ψ(x)=A sin(kx)+B cos(kx) and we have -iħ∂/∂x A sin(kx)+B cos(kx) is it right and does implement wave function with operator have numeral solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's only true if ##\psi## is an eigenfunction of the momentum operator, but since in your problem you seem to have assumed that ##\psi(x) = A\sin kx + B\cos kx## which is a superposition of different momentum operator eigenfunctions, your relation "p(hat)ψ=pψ" cannot hold anymore. If what you want is just to operate ##i\hbar \partial/\partial x## on to ##\psi(x)## then just do as the operator told you, that is , partial differentiation.
    I'm not sure what you meant by "numerical solution". Since it is a function (in position space), you can always calculate its value at any given point ##x##.

4. Oct 9, 2015 #3
    Thank you that information helped me a lot.On numerical solution I thoughte like that ψ=3.62 or some other imaginary- and negative- number

5. Oct 9, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your wavefunction is a function of x, to say that ##\psi## has certain value you need to know x (and the other constants). Moreover for real ##\psi## at some point ##x##, its value cannot be bigger than one as the wavefunction must be normalized.

6. Oct 9, 2015 #5
    Your information helped me a lot thank you very much(;

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook