Operators implementation with operators

• Thread starter AleksanderPhy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, the conversation discusses the implementation of the wave function with operators, specifically the momentum operator. It is important to note that the relation "p(hat)ψ=pψ" only holds if the wave function is an eigenfunction of the momentum operator. The concept of a numerical solution is also briefly discussed, with the reminder that the wave function is a function of x and its value cannot exceed one.
AleksanderPhy
Hello I may make some mistakes because I am not professional at physics:smile:.So I want to know how to
implementate wave function with operators example:p(hat) impletated with ψ so: p(hat)ψ=pψ so as you saw it was momentum operator and momentum operator is:-iħ∂/∂x as you saw it is one diemensional momentum operator.So we have ψ one dimensional so we have ψ(x) and ψ(x)=A sin(kx)+B cos(kx) and we have -iħ∂/∂x A sin(kx)+B cos(kx) is it right and does implement wave function with operator have numeral solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
AleksanderPhy said:
p(hat)ψ=pψ
That's only true if ##\psi## is an eigenfunction of the momentum operator, but since in your problem you seem to have assumed that ##\psi(x) = A\sin kx + B\cos kx## which is a superposition of different momentum operator eigenfunctions, your relation "p(hat)ψ=pψ" cannot hold anymore. If what you want is just to operate ##i\hbar \partial/\partial x## on to ##\psi(x)## then just do as the operator told you, that is , partial differentiation.
AleksanderPhy said:
does implement wave function with operator have numerical solution?
I'm not sure what you meant by "numerical solution". Since it is a function (in position space), you can always calculate its value at any given point ##x##.

Thank you that information helped me a lot.On numerical solution I thoughte like that ψ=3.62 or some other imaginary- and negative- number

AleksanderPhy said:
On numerical solution I thoughte like that ψ=3.62 or some other imaginary- and negative- number
Your wavefunction is a function of x, to say that ##\psi## has certain value you need to know x (and the other constants). Moreover for real ##\psi## at some point ##x##, its value cannot be bigger than one as the wavefunction must be normalized.

Your information helped me a lot thank you very much(;

1. What are operators in programming?

Operators in programming are symbols or keywords that perform specific mathematical or logical operations on one or more values. They are used to manipulate data and control the flow of a program.

2. How do operators work?

Operators work by taking in operands (values or variables) and performing a specific operation on them. For example, the addition operator takes in two operands and adds them together to produce a new value.

3. What are some commonly used operators in programming?

Some commonly used operators in programming include arithmetic operators (+, -, *, /), comparison operators (==, !=, <, >), and logical operators (&&, ||, !). There are also other operators that perform more specific tasks such as assignment, increment/decrement, and bitwise operations.

4. How are operators implemented in programming languages?

Operators are implemented in programming languages through the use of built-in functions or methods. These functions are pre-defined and dictate how the operator should behave when applied to different data types or values.

5. Can operators be overloaded in programming?

Yes, operators can be overloaded in programming languages. This means that the same operator can be used for different purposes depending on the data types or values it is applied to. For example, the "+" operator can be used for both addition of numbers and concatenation of strings.