Opinion on a textbook - by Fayyazuddin

• Thread starter spookyfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbook
In summary, "A Modern Introduction To Particle Physics" by Fayyazuddin is a textbook that has received mixed reviews. While there is a lack of reviews on Amazon, there is one review on Google Books that mentions the book may contain errors. However, some members of the community recommend other books, such as "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by D.J. Griffiths, as a better option. The book is praised for its clear diagrams and ability to spark interest in the subject. There is also a newer edition of Griffiths' book that includes additional material.
spookyfish
I have seen the following textbook: "A Modern Introduction To Particle Physics" by Fayyazuddin
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9814338834/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I couldn't find reviews in Amazon, and I have seen only one review in google books that claimed that the book had errors, but did not give any information.

Has anyone used this book and can share his experience? In particular, does it have serious errors?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

I'm sorry, but I guess you chose a book without appeal to students/teachers. I'm sure you can get better books being recommended from this community: I particularly like the book by D.J. Griffiths. 'Introduction to elementary particles' (1987) (not outdated).

dextercioby said:
I'm sorry, but I guess you chose a book without appeal to students/teachers. I'm sure you can get better books being recommended from this community: I particularly like the book by D.J. Griffiths. 'Introduction to elementary particles' (1987) (not outdated).

I agree with this. We used it for a course and it is nicely written.
A great primer to spark your interest.

For example the eightfold way which gives nice and clear diagrams to represent particles.
In Griffiths it is introduced in a somewhat ad-hoc way.
If you study more physics, you find they can be explained very easily.

dextercioby said:

There is a second 2008 edition of Griffiths that includes new material on massive neutrino oscillations, the Higgs boson, and other stuff.

1. What is the author's overall opinion on the textbook?

The author, Fayyazuddin, has a positive overall opinion on the textbook. He praises the book for its clear and concise explanations, organized structure, and thorough coverage of the subject matter.

2. Does the author have any criticisms of the textbook?

While the author has a generally positive opinion of the textbook, he does have some criticisms. He notes that certain topics may be presented in a more complex manner than necessary, and that some of the examples used may be outdated.

3. How does the author compare this textbook to others in the same subject area?

The author compares this textbook favorably to others in the same subject area. He states that it is one of the most comprehensive and well-written textbooks on the subject, and that it stands out for its clarity and organization.

4. Is the author's opinion on the textbook influenced by any outside factors?

The author's opinion on the textbook is not influenced by any outside factors. He provides a thorough and objective review based on his own knowledge and experience in the subject area.

5. Would the author recommend this textbook to others?

Yes, the author would highly recommend this textbook to others. He believes that it is a valuable resource for students and professionals alike, and that it effectively presents complex concepts in a clear and understandable manner.