Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical mouse into pen tablet. How?

1. Jul 24, 2009 #1
    Does anyone know by any chance or maybe know where to look for a guide instructing you how to make a pen tablet like this
    www.photoshopsupport.jpg

out of an optical mouse?
    1.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Other than gluing a pen to the top of a mouse and using it to move the mouse around - no. they are completely different bits of technology

4. Jul 24, 2009 #3
    As far as I understand the optical mouse is built of two main parts:
    *The optical component (LED, little mirror and a sensor)
    *The DSP (digital signal processor) unit

supposing I could separate those two in space (i.e. put longer wires) and arange the optical unit into a pen with a little hole at the bottom where out of the top of the pen I get the wires going out to the DSP which is put aside. Would'nt that work?

5. Jul 24, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You might be able to remove the imager unit and move it around on paper with a pen.
    I don't know who well it would work, it might be very sensitive to the angle between the imager and the surface.
    It still wouldn't give you a tablet - they can do things like send the absolute position of the pen rather than just a movement and can sense pen pressure so if software uses a tablet it won't perform the same way with a mouse.
    You can get a pen-mouse which are pretty much what you are describing, a mouse sensor in a pen shaped body that look like a mouse to the software.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook