Optics - Double Slit Irradiance of Fringes

In summary, the question is about finding the irradiance of the first three orders of interference fringes relative to the zeroth-order maximum in a double slit diffraction pattern formed by mercury green light at 546.1nm with a slit width of 0.100mm and a slit separation of 0.400mm. After trying different approaches and realizing the need for using radians instead of degrees, the correct answers for the first three orders are (0.8106, 0.4053, 0.09006).
peppies
[Solved] Optics - Double Slit Irradiance of Fringes

Homework Statement

A double slit diffraction pattern is formed using mercury green light at 546.1nm. Each slit has a width of 0.100mm (= b), slit separation is 0.400mm (=a). The pattern reveals that the fourth-order interference maxima are missing from pattern.

What is the irradiance of the first three orders of interference fringes, relative to the zeroth-order maximum?

Homework Equations

I = 4Io (sin([tex]\beta[/tex])/[tex]\beta[/tex]))^2 * (cos([tex]\alpha[/tex]))^2
[tex]\beta[/tex] = 0.5kbsin([tex]\theta[/tex])
[tex]\alpha[/tex] = 0.5kasin([tex]\theta[/tex])
k = (2(pi)/[tex]\lambda[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to figure this one out for days and the book never gave any practice problems or simple explanation on what to do here.

First I tried to solve for the first order interference fringe (m=1):

sin([tex]\theta[/tex]) = (m[tex]\lambda[/tex]/a), then use this result to solve for alpha and beta in the two equations above and then finally solve for the sinc and cos^2 functions in the irradiance to find the ratio to the zeroth order fringe.

The answers in the back of the book for the first three orders are (0.8106, 0.4053, 0.09006) but I am not getting these.

The book I'm using is "Introduction to Opitics 3rd edition by Pedrotti"

Thanks
Best

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I solved it by using the RAD mode on my calculator rather than DEG.

1. What is the double slit experiment and why is it important in optics?

The double slit experiment is a famous experiment in optics that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the interference pattern created on a screen. This experiment is important as it helped in the development of wave optics and confirmed the wave-particle duality of light.

2. How is the irradiance of fringes calculated in the double slit experiment?

The irradiance of fringes, also known as the intensity of fringes, is calculated by taking the square of the amplitude of the resulting interference pattern. This is because the intensity of light is directly proportional to the square of the amplitude of the wave.

3. What factors affect the pattern of fringes in the double slit experiment?

The pattern of fringes in the double slit experiment can be affected by various factors such as the distance between the slits, the wavelength of light, and the distance between the slits and the screen. Additionally, the width of the slits and any obstructions in the path of the light can also affect the pattern.

4. How does the double slit experiment demonstrate the wave nature of light?

In the double slit experiment, when light is shined through two parallel slits, it creates an interference pattern on a screen. This pattern can only be explained by the wave theory of light, as it shows the characteristics of constructive and destructive interference. This supports the idea that light behaves as a wave.

5. Can the double slit experiment be performed with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, the double slit experiment can be performed with other types of waves, such as sound waves and water waves. In fact, this experiment has been used to demonstrate the wave nature of all types of waves, not just light. This further supports the wave-particle duality of all matter and energy in the universe.